9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2008 3:15 PM by Ko Maruyama

DOF with shatter

Hi

is there any way to fake depth of field with shatter pieces?
      THX
        • 1. Re: DOF with shatter
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, if you use your gradient map setup from the other thread, it would certainly be possible to re-use it as a color texture on a duplicate. You can then use it with compound blur or similar DOF-like effects. The real trick will be to adjust the grey levels in sync with the rest of the animation, so it stays consistent, but it shoudl be possible.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: DOF with shatter
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
            Almost impossible. I gave up trying to do anything with 3d space using Maffitt's effects years ago.
            Someday, maybe all of Brian's former Atomic Energy effects will have hooks into the comp camera.

bogiesan
            • 3. Re: DOF with shatter
              Level 1
              Hi

i The real trick will be to adjust the grey levels in sync with the rest of the animation, so it stays consistent, but it shoudl be possible.

you're right indeed ;-)
              • 4. Re: DOF with shatter
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                what I have tried, is to pull a matte of the shatter output. Then applied some blurs and other stuff to it to create a grayscale movie, something that seemed like it could be used as the input for a compound blur pass.

Frustrating. that was back in the days of expressions, though, and I had to prerender the shatter output. I wonder if an expression could not be written that would grab that output channel, send it to a nested comp, and return a grayscale control layer.

bogiesan
                • 5. Re: DOF with shatter
                  A. Cobb Level 3
                  I don't see a way to do this without so much effort that you'd negate any advantage to using shatter in the first place (as opposed to, say, creating the effect in a 3D package). Shatter doesn't offer any lighting or visibility features that provide the distance falloff needed to generate a depth map, and animating a depth map by hand sounds impractical.
                  • 6. Re: DOF with shatter
                    Level 1
                    Hi

In C4d, do i have same control over the pieces as i have in Ae?Gradient map?
                    • 7. Re: DOF with shatter
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                      Depends on the modules you have. Creating this type of effect is not easily possible in the base program of C4D either, but if you have mograph or Thinking Particles a lot of venues open up.

Mylenium
                      • 8. Re: DOF with shatter
                        Level 1
                        Hi

i Depends on the modules you have. Creating this type of effect is not easily possible in the base program of C4D either, but if you have mograph or Thinking Particles a lot of venues open up.

any tutorials for this task with TP and Mograph?
                        • 9. Re: DOF with shatter
                          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
                          There are plenty of free tutorials on C4D's website Cineversity.com. Look for one from Rick Barrett - I think it was called "Puzzle". You can use an Adobe Illustrator file to define the geometry (shatter map).

You could do it in the base package with one of the standard deformers Explosion FX.

In the base package, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to trigger the animation in various parts based on time....

... but it'd be nicer to be able to stay in AE for sure. I'm sure there's a solution in AE (even tho' it might be complex and multi-layered).

One of my professors used to say: "You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a peanut". I can't remember what it had to do with calculus, but I remember the phrase. :)