7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 6:59 AM by Mylenium

Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??

Level 1
      Hi guys, I have a technical question about running a SLI or Crossfire system will speed up the rendering process or making ram previews in ae??? Does it have any effect on ae or it's just meant for gaming purpose?? Thanks
        • 1. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
          SLI probably shouldn't be a decision maker for your AE performance. It's much more useful in gaming, and 3D apps. It will help your OpenGL previews, I believe, but you might not end up using OpenGL as your render/preview engine a good amount of the time anyway.
          • 2. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
            Navarro Parker Level 3
            Any single current gen card is more than enough for After Effects. It has the ability to make interactions faster, but a $3000 card has the same impact on render times as a $150 card -- which is to say, none. I know of no one that uses OpenGL for final renders.

Trenz, where are you getting this information that AE has this amazing OpenGL engine? We see it a lot in these forums, and I don't understand where this mis-information is coming from.
            • 3. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              SLI or Crossfire won't do anything for you in AE. Using them would require implementing specific code which is not particularly sensible for an application that is meant to run on a wide variety of systems, many of which will not have top-of-the line hardware. If you will, the effort to implement it would at best serve perhaps 0.5% of all users and in that case the numbers (in terms of Adobe being a business company) don't add up. Even many games don't support these hardware combos beyond the basic "double/quadruple my buffers and give me larger resolutions or better antialiasing", which means there isn't actually that much of a performance boost, it just looks a bit more pleasing and stutters less. Even if you did implement such stuff in AE, you'd probably not use OpenGL but actually accelerate all effects and functions by making routines run in CUDA, but even that seems far fetched, at least for the foreseeable time...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                SLI on nvidia cards is a sick and cruel joke. Additionally, it's never been supported, that I can tell, on Macintosh, it was just sold to us and, man, we bought it. I have four 7300s in each of my FCP machines. To add more insult, Apple has refused to correct a serious FCP coding error that breaks most of the FxPlugs supplied by Motion if you have more than one graphics card in use to feed monitors. I have enough power to run 8-30" Cinema displays but only two of them can be hooked into one card if I want access to Motion's FxPlugs from within FCP.

I hate this stuff.

bogiesan
                • 5. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
                  Level 1
                  Oh I c...thank guys, now i have better picture. It won't affect performance in AE, but what about 3D apps.?? Does 3D apps benefit from SLI or Crossfire?? Because I'm using C4D as well.
                  Sorry guys, I'm still new at this.
                  • 6. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
                    Navarro Parker Level 3
                    C4d is awesome, but does not support SLI or Crossfire.

see here:
                    http://forum.3dfluff.com/showthread.php?t=129&page=1&pp=10
                    • 7. Re: Does SLI or Crossfire help speed up rendering in AE??
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                      The story is the same: Unless the app makes special preparations, it will not use any such features. To my knowledge, only MAX and Maya ever use dual setups, but they only do so for DirectX previews, launching a separate floating window that uses on card exclusively. Beyond that, in a professional environment SLI/ Crossfire are pretty much dead features. If you don't have someone doing dedicated programming e.g. as they have for VizRT and similar apps that benefit from better antialiasing or enhanced backbuffer drawing, the overall sum balances out to zero. You could wait until SIGGRAPH is past and hope for some fancy announcements along those lines, but to be honest, you'd be better of scrapping those plans and investing your money in the best single graphics card you can and the bucks you safe can easily be spent on some useful plugins or a nice holiday trip.... ;-)

Mylenium