8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2008 6:30 PM by Andrew Yoole

my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!

Level 1
      hello,

i have a project about 1 minute long of audio...i didnt finish the visual part yet and am about half way done.

the video has alot going on in it and alot of rendering.

my project was fine last night before i closed AE. this morning when i opened up my project and ram previewed it, the audio was slightly deeper and off! i spent hours changing each screen shot precisely on the audio and things similar to this so i cant even continue working on my project until this is resolved.

i thought it may have been the ram preview so i did a quarter res...still didnt help.

im running AE on my mackbook pro using cs3.

i have no idea what could be causing this, it was running fine before and now when i opened it up the audios wrong.

i even tried closing AE and then opening up again to see if that would help and it didnt.

this is my final for my class and i really dont want to fail! i was planning on spending all day today and tomorrow to finish it and now i cant pleasee help me!
        • 1. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, what is the source of the audio? What are your Quicktime Audio Device settings? Did you watch any clips in QT or listen to music via iTunes that may have changed your audio settings? did you run any updates? In any case, I'd flush any files in the MediaCache via the preferences. Maybe something got conformed and now is acting up. It may also help to trash the prefs ands start with a clean slate...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
            Level 1
            is an AIFF audio file.

when i exported the clip...the audio was fine and matched up with the clips. its only in AE itself where it wont work. it was very likely i played a quick time .mov sometime during this editing...i also listed to itunes, i wasnt away that doing this could automatically change settings. i didnt run any updated.

i went to AE>preferences>mem and cache>conformed media cache>clean data base and cache

i did another ram preview and the audio was still slightly low and off. i dont know what else to adjust in the preferences.

im guessing something did get messed up with an audio setting? i do listen to itunes alot, i dont know does this situation occur to people often?

hm watch should i do? thanks again
            • 3. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Find the audio file in the Project window and click to highlight it. In the upper pane of the Project window, it should identify the settings of the AIFF file - for example, 44.100 Khz, 16 bit, Stereo.
              Let us know what it says.

What is the frame rate of your composition?

Have you applied time remapping or any other time adjustment features to any layers in the comp?

If you play the AIFF file in Quicktime Player does it sound normal?

If you import a second copy of the file into AE does it sound the same?

If you create a new project and only import the AIFF file, does it sound the same?
              • 4. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
                Level 1
                hello,

the aiff file is 44.100 khz 16bit U stereo

the frame rate of the composition is 30 fps

there are no time adjustments on any layers in the comp.

i will add with the layers though, there are 30 layers in one comp...some have 5mb pics moving with motion blur...can this be harsh for my computer causing it to not have enough ram or something to play the audio correctly? and can nesting help my ram preview go faster?

the aiff file plays fine in quicktime

a second copy imported plays the same (slow and off)

--okay-- i just made a new project file completly clean...i imported the aiff file - and it runs slightly deeper and slower so i am convinced something with my AE settings got screwed up.

it was deff not done manually, possibly the itunes thing is the problem.

clean database and cache in the mem and cache in the preferences did not help. im not too sure what other solutions i could do or go to in AE to fix this problem...please help :)

thanks
                • 5. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
                  Check under File\Project Settings. Try altering the project audio sample rate, particularly if it differs from the rate of your file.

Reboot the machine if you haven't recently.
                  • 6. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
                    Level 1
                    the same rate of the aiff is 44 and the project file is 48, i dont know if that can matter at all.

i do reboot my machine daily.

yesterday i tried importing the aiff file into a new project and it ran slower...soo i tried today and it worked fine!? i then went to my project and gave that a shot and believe it or not the audio was fine again!

i do have the itunes application running too.

i think what the problem may have been is from garageband.

that may have had something to do with screwing up the audio i suppose? is it a possibility?

i usually always have it open on my mac, i do recording on it here and there but usually musical typing on it.

well im glad to see things are working...thankyou for your help!
                    • 7. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
                      (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                      Perhaps it was a sample rate discrepancy? Or maybe something else was going on. When I tried a quick google search on the sample rates, I found out some interesting info on the origins of the 44.1khz rate:

Why Not 48khz?
                      • 8. Re: my audio is all of a sudden off when i opened my project please help!
                        I would recommend closing unnecessary applications while working, particularly in a resource-hungry application like AE. Odds are the sample rate of playback in GarageBand was screwing with AE's playback sample rate. Glad you resolved it, anyway.

i Just a forum note - if you don't capitalise your leading i's in this forum, your text will be italicized. That's why your posts look so screwy.