1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 6, 2008 10:06 PM by Mylenium

.swf image comes out lighter than the source

I'm creating a simple animation in AE from a jpeg image. I bring up some text on the image. When I create the .swf file, the background that the text appears on is lighter than the original jpeg in the Safari browser. Since this animation "tiles" into the page with other jpegs sharing the same background image, the light background produced by the .swf stands out from the rest of the page.

This only seems to appear in the Safari browser under OSX. FireFox doesn't have this problem. However, since I need this to work across all browsers, I need to solve this issue.

If I make a .mov file instead of a .swf, it also appears lighter than the source.

In fact, if I simply take a jpeg image and create a 1 frame .swf from it, it comes out lighter than the original. I'm not doing anything to the image (as far as I know) that would make it lighter.

Any insight to what is causing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: .swf image comes out lighter than the source
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          It's ColorSync and how it is used throughout your system, even if only for on-screen Gamma correction. In so many words: There's nothing you can do about it but to reset your settings and turn it off wherever that is possible. Not on my Mac ATM and not using Safari anyways, but I'm reasonably certain there's an option for using the system color settings somewhere. Depending on how you process the JPEG you may also need to fiddle with the color settings for the Adobe suite. Flash itself is not color profiled, but it will respect embedded proviles by ways of its image loaders that it shares with Photoshop and al lthe other apps. Beyond that I wouldn't get too crazy over it: Color mismatches and shifting alignment are a natural bane of all web development, and even if you get it right on one machine, the next day another user will tell you that it looked crap on his machine in Konqueror on Linux.... More than anything else, webdesign is a matter of using the design to cheat around these limitations, unfortunately. Perhaps you can use a large background Flash file instead of the original JPEG and then put your HTML content onto a separate DIV layer...? ;-)

Mylenium