7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2008 7:53 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Adobe After Effects Issues

Hello I represent the graphic artists of the multimedia department at the USPTA (United States Professional Tennis Association). We do a show that airs on the Tennis Channel called, "On Court with USPTA" and "Sweet Spots".
      We have just made the switch over to HD and are working on PCs (Dell Precision T3400 Work stations) I am running Adobe After Effects CS3 and I am running into several issues and problems with the software. I am doing full screen HD graphics, Lower thirds in HD, and even HD video overlayed with Graphics. Some or most have motion, and I even do 3D text in some. I am running into problems of the software crashing, locking up or bogging down reletivly quickly. I can barely RAM preview anything longer then 3 seconds and if it has audio you can just forget the RAM preview. I was wondering if those of us who do graphics on PCs if their is a way to speed up the software, or an update or even something in the prefences that could speed up it up and stop all the crash's I am getting.
        • 1. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
          How much RAM do you have installed?
          Are you working on local or network drives?
          What speed are your processors, and how many come in a T3400 config?
          Are you using OpenGL for previews? Do you have multiprocessing enabled?
          • 2. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
            Level 1
            I gave 4 Gbs of RAM installed
            I am working on a local drive
            quad-core Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Q6600
            and I turned OpenGL off for previewing, and tried it with it on as well same issue, and I have tried the multiprocessing and nothing changed.
            • 3. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
              I have recently had two issues with after effects right now.

1.) At some points in my video, a few frames randomly go red blocking out any part of the video I have in my project. I have to end up deleting these frames but the problem is that this messes up my video if there is any movement in my clip.

2.) My second problem is that when I render my project, it tends to slow it down drastically making the video almost in slow-motion.

If anyone has any replies to this that could help me, please respond.
              • 4. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                >and I have tried the multiprocessing and nothing changed.

MP won't do anything on such a system. Simply not enough RAM. Let truth be told, the only real environment that is suitable for MP as AE employs it, are 64bit operating systems (XP64, Vista 64).

As for your other issues - RAM previews can be extended by lowering the comp resolution to Half or Quarter. It's in the nature of the beast - only the frames that fit into RAM can be previewed and the larger the frame, the less of them fit. There is no way to circumvent that. Your only alternative is to enable the disk cache and have AE store rendered frames on your harddrive. this may allow you to use spacebar playback for some segments rather than having to build RAM previews again and again, but it hinges somewhat on the project structure and how working on other segments of the graphics may invalidate cached frames and layers.

Likewise, audio will consume additional memory and further reduce the available duration. It should however not completely screw this functionality, so I can only assume you have a config problem. Therefore check your system's audio settings and the prefs in AE. Ideally, the sample rates and things should match the audio format used in your project and all fancies such as Virtual Surround or acoustic effects be turned off to prevent delay. It also helps to work with uncompressed audio - even though AE has gotten better at handling MP3 et al, it still prefers PCM audio.

Lastly, some similar things do apply to certain compressed video formats - if they use MPEG and its derivatives, AE may need to conform it prior to use and this may cause further hiccups. Using different capture methods and CoDecs may help to prevent that.

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  >1.) At some points in my video, a few frames randomly go red blocking
                  >out any part of the video I have in my project. I have to end up
                  >deleting these frames but the problem is that this messes up my video
                  >if there is any movement in my clip.

AVCHD or EX1 footage? Not supported in AE at this point, I'm afraid, so you are on your own with this. Also note that some of the latest Quicktime updates mess up the Pro App video CoDecs on Macs, so similarly - no guarantees.

>2.) My second problem is that when I render my project, it tends to
                  >slow it down drastically making the video almost in slow-motion.

Related to the first item - unsupported CoDecs will not render correctly because AE cannot create their stream structure 1:1 to match the original. use other CoDecs instead, even if it prolongs import procedures back into your edit program.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
                    Navarro Parker Level 3
                    Try transcoding your XDCAM EX footage to something that's not MPEG-2 based. Like Uncompressed or ... well, I'm not sure what intraframe Windows codecs handle full 1080p video. On the Mac side, there's ProRes.

XDCAM EX footage has been a little flakey in my experiences. I don't think the codec is really ready for primetime and the Quicktime component has some little bugs. Again your mileage may vary on the Windows side.

But you definitely need more RAM (4GB per core for HD video).
                    • 7. Re: Adobe After Effects Issues
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                      > But you definitely need more RAM (4GB per core for HD video).

4GB per core seems like overkill. 2GB per core seems to be enough for HD video. And, of course, there's the consideration that After Effects can only use 4GB per core on a 64-bit OS, as Mylenium mentioned.

USPTA_TV, you can contact Adobe Technical Support for help with issues like the ones that you're having. You are entitled to a certain number of free calls for "installation issues, basic usage questions, and troubleshooting unexpected behavior for documented features".

For information on what free technical support you're entitled to, see this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/customer/gss.html