4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 8:00 AM by (Mark_Wesley)

Fidgety Lens Flares

Well this is unexpected!
      I'm adding two lens flares to an approaching truck to imitate the headlights. At a distance, while the lens cross hair centre is reasonably fixed, as the truck approaches, the lens flare itself bobs around quite noticeably. The truck is some way off at this point and I have added key frames every three seconds or so as necessary, getting more frequent as the truck gets nearer.

I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the lens flare option that comes with AFX or, because the truck is so far away, is it to do with working with so few pixels?
      Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      Thanks.
      Mark
        • 1. Re: Fidgety Lens Flares
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          It's a weakness in AE's rasterizatin engine. You get the same with very small layers, extremely "thin" layers (hairlines) and under anumber of other conditions. To circumvent it, I recommend you create a 3D layer with a statically centered lensflare and animate the layer position instead in 3D space. At some point inbetween, you could always cross-fade with your other flares.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Fidgety Lens Flares
            Navarro Parker Level 3
            Try downloading the demo of Knoll Light Factory and see if you have the same problem. The built-in AE Lens Flare effect is as old as the hills.
            • 3. Re: Fidgety Lens Flares
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              >The built-in AE Lens Flare effect is as old as the hills.

Yes, that too. ;-)

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Fidgety Lens Flares
                Level 1
                Hi guys.
                Thanks for that knowledge. I'll try both ideas.
                For your interest, this is the scene as it currently stands. Live truck and road comped into a scene created in VUE 6. God thats a bloody cack handed bit of software. This is the first time I've actually managed to more or less complete a scene with it.
                www.markwesleyproductions.co.uk/movies/truck.html

The darkness and lens flares hide a whole load of sins!!
                Cheers.
                Mark