6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2008 10:05 AM by Mylenium

Star tool?

I'm digging AEs new drawing tools, especially the polystar. Couple questions though, depending on the angle sometimes the points snap from being points to squared off and back. Is there a way to fix this, or will it be fixed in future versions?

Also, is there a hotkey to pull up all channels related to the polystar?
        • 1. Re: Star tool?
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          Hotkeys for shape layers... dang. there are so many options in shape layers, you might start pulling up 100s of properties with a single click.

The rounding comes from possibly hitting the left/right arrow buttons on the keyboard?

(up/down = point number control)
          (left/right = pucker & bloat control)

I made a series of animations in layer styles using only 1 shape layer layer (with admittedly too many shapes in each.... but it worked, and was fun to do)

here's a screenshot of the image (1 layer). wish I had some shortcuts for "polystar 017, repeater 3" heheh :)
          shape layer image

p.s. all the lens flares in the animation were done on the same shape layer, with shapes.
          • 2. Re: Star tool?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Unfortunately there are no dedicated shortcuts for shape layers. Some tools will respond to inputs in the manner Ko described while you are drawing elements or use shape modifiers, but that's pretty much it. They will however also obbey the Alt, shift and Ctrl modifier keys when you move or create them just like e.g. masks do.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Star tool?
              A. Cobb Level 3
              I mentioned this in the wish list thread, but what I'd like is for AE's Effects Controls palette to gain the ability to display every property group, not just the Effects property group. This would make working with text animators and shape layer contents a lot easier, in my opinion.
              • 4. Re: Star tool?
                Level 1
                Another nice feature would be to, lets say, right click a property name and set it as a 'favorite', and then perhaps 'alt-u' would toggle all you favorite properties.

'u' sort of works for this, but sometimes you dont want a layer to be animated, so you can adjust it at any time for all of time; and sometimes you dont want to see all the animated properties.

I know I know, again with the vertical workspace conservation. (been thinking of getting an HD monitor and turning it on its side for menus... can you drive a monitor like that?)
                • 5. Re: Star tool?
                  A. Cobb Level 3
                  >I know I know, again with the vertical workspace conservation. (been thinking of getting an HD monitor and turning it on its side for menus... can you drive a monitor like that?)

I know you can in Leopard. There's a "Rotate" popup menu in the Displays preference pane. Not sure about other OS's.
                  • 6. Re: Star tool?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    If supported by the monitor and the graphics card driver, this is no problem on Windows, either. Vista has some straight function foir this, on XP it's buried in the card's advanced settings...

Mylenium