2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2008 7:30 PM by (Colin_Tse)

Continuous Raterisation fail in 3D comp

I just received an aep template from designer which inside the 3D render comp is a 3D pre-comp. What's in the 3D pre-comp is serveral layers of ai and text (they all set to 3D layers too).

I can jog, RAM preview and even save the ram preview trouble free. However, when I set it to render, the text layers inside the 3D pre-comp disappear in final rendered mov.

I have done nurmerous test trying to bring back the text layers in final renders but nothing can really help.

Finally, I spotted out that Continuous Rasterisation has been selected for the 3D pre-comp inside the final render comp. Once I switch it off, all texts re-appear again.

Can anyone explain to me what happen?

Thanks

Colon Tse
        • 1. Re: Continuous Raterisation fail in 3D comp
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          When you have pre-comped 3D objects in a Main 3D Comp, they will exist on a 2D plane within your Main Comp.

If you activate the Collapse Transformations (continuous rasterization) checkbox for the Pre-comp layer, the pre-comped 3D objects now exist individually within the Main Comp's 3D space, responding to the Main Comp's camera view etc. If the camera in your Main Comp is positioned differently to the camera in your Pre-comp, the objects may end up in different positions, maybe not in view at all.

From the AE Online Help Documents:

i Collapsing transformations exposes the 3D properties of the layers that compose the precomposition. Essentially, collapsing transformations in this case allows each 3D layer to be composited into the main composition individually, rather than creating a single 2D composite for the precomposition layer and compositing that into the main composition. The tradeoff is that this setting removes your ability to specify certain layer settings for the precomposition as a wholesuch as blending mode, quality, and motion blur.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7e3b. html
          • 2. Re: Continuous Raterisation fail in 3D comp
            Level 1
            Thanks for your detail explanation.

However, strangely, another mac pro in the office can render the same aep trouble free. could it be hardware related?

Or, is there any hiden setting in AE CS3 that handle collapsing transformation differently?