10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 6:17 PM by juskocf

Quicktime MOV washed out

juskocf Level 1
      Hi, I had a movie edited in AE and rendered with format of Quicktime movie while everything remained default. But the color of the rendered movie was washed out when played in quicktime player.

If I rendered the movie with Windows Media format, the rendered movie was OK.

Was I missing something in the output module settings for quicktime mov?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
      jusko
        • 1. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
          What kind of codec did you enable in the output module settings?
          To keep your image pure, select Quicktime "Animation" at best/full quality.

For more info about output modules, check out the Online Help:

QuicktimeSettings
          • 2. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
            Level 1
            Did you switch on Match Legacy After Effects Quicktime Gamma Adjustments in Project Settings?

-steven
            • 3. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              Here's some information about QuickTime, gamma, and the Match Legacy After Effects Quicktime Gamma Adjustments setting that Steve mentioned:

"About gamma and tone response"

The relevant part is toward the end of the page.
              • 4. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                juskocf Level 1
                Thanks Steve, Steven and Todd for your responses. I am sorry that I hadn't mentioned my OS is Windows Vista with AE CS3.

Steve : In the output module, I selected Quicktime Movie format and by default the codec is H.264 which I think is the culprit for making the washed out mov. I then followed your advice to use Animation and the result was great! I'll try different settings for a better result. But I wonder why H.264 yields such a poor result as most movies nowadays use this codec.

Steven : I tried switching on "Match Legacy After Effects Quicktime Gamma Adjustments" in Project Settings, and left everything default, but the result was the same, e.g. the color of the rendered mov was lighter than the original.

Todd : I'll read carefully the information on the link that you mentioned.

Best Regards
                jusko
                • 5. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                  Level 1
                  Oooh. H.264. Yeah, great codec but I always have to correct for its gamma shifts.
                  • 6. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                    Hey jusko.
                    Like Steven said, H.264 is a great codec, but gamma correction is usually a good idea to keep blacks richer, and whites brighter. H.264 is a highly compressed delivery format that is great for web-viewing, and doesn't require much horsepower to play back, but it's not an "uncompressed" or "losslessly compressed" format.
                    • 7. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                      juskocf Level 1
                      Thank you Steven and Steve for your info and advice.

But where in AE can I correct the gamma if I select Quicktime H.264 codec please?

Best Regards
                      jusko
                      • 8. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                        Well, you can try adjusting the encoding options for H.264 in the video tab of the "format options" section of the output module settings, or, you can try applying the Gamma/Pedestal/Gain effect (or Levels) to tweak your comp prior to rendering. I think some 3rd party encoders allow for gamma adjustments directly in the encoding options, but I'm not sure.
                        • 9. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                          Also try this piece of advice:

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/?p=197

Another problem to check out is the hardware acceleration settings in Quicktime itself. On some systems it also messes up the colors if they have a certain gcombination of graphics card and driver, which indirectly is a similar issue to the more generic transparency thingy mentioned in the link.

Mylenium
                          • 10. Re: Quicktime MOV washed out
                            juskocf Level 1
                            Thanks Steve and Mylenium for the tips. It seems the Quicktime Gamma Shift is quite a commonly asked question. I have learnt quite a lot about this gamma issue from all you guys here.

Best Regards
                            jusko