5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 10:22 PM by (ker-plop)

Copying keyframes

I want to copy all of the keyframes from one layer exactly as they are into a blank new layer. Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to do every keyframe bit by bit? I'm using AE CS3 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.
        • 1. Re: Copying keyframes
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          You could:

Press U to make all keyframes visible. Select all the keyframes by dragging a selection box around all of them. Copy, select new layer, paste.

More info here:
          http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7de9. html

Or you could:

Duplicate your source layer and select the copy. Determine the footage/content/solid for your destination layer in the project window, then ALT-drag it onto the new duplicate layer.
          • 2. Re: Copying keyframes
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
            Instructions for various ways to select different combinations of keyframes are in the "Select keyframes" section of After Effects Help on the Web.

Here's an excerpt that tells how to select all keyframes for a property:

"To select all keyframes for a layer property, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) a segment between two keyframes in the Graph Editor, or click the layer property name in the layer outline."

Once you've selected the keyframes, you can follow the instructions for copying and pasting in the section that Andrew pointed to.
            • 3. Re: Copying keyframes
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Just as a heads-up, Todd, I searched for a link to the Alt-drag replace function, and couldn't track one down. I searched on "Replace Layer Source", "Replace Layer Footage", "Replace Layer Content", "Convert Layer Content" and a bunch of other variants.
              • 4. Re: Copying keyframes
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                > I searched for a link to the Alt-drag replace function, and
                > couldn't track one down. I searched on "Replace Layer Source"...

Here's a search results page for the following query:

replace layer source

Here's a search results page for the same query narrowed to Adobe Help and Support documents.

In the sixth and first search-results slots, respectively, I see this page:

"Create layers from footage items"

On that page, in the section titled "Replace layer sources with references to another footage item", is what I think you're looking for. In the number 2 slot for the second search (refined to Help and Support), I also see "Working with imported files", which gives the information in a tip.

This seems like a pretty good search experience to me, so I'm confused about where it failed for you. Do you want to describe your searches that failed off-list? I'm at kopriva@adobe.com.
                • 5. Re: Copying keyframes
                  Level 1
                  I tried Mr. Yoole's second method in his first response, and that worked perfectly. Thank you very much, everyone.