6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 8:43 AM by Navarro Parker

Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?

Navarro Parker Level 3
      Anyone know of some quick chromatic aberration plug-ins? I know frischluft Flair has really cool Box Blur with chromatic aberration.

Other than building the a three-layer comp with Shift Channel effect, are there any plug-ins that achieve this in one step? WalkerFX had something like that, but it got bought out by DigiEffects and never made the jump to Universal Binary.
        • 1. Re: Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?
          Joey Morelli Level 1
          Inside the new Magic Bullet Looks in the "Tools" drawer there is a tool called Chromatic Aberration. The cool thing is you can apply it to the Subject, Lens, or Post area of the camera.

MBL in my opinion is in my "Top 5 Best Plug-Ins of All Time" for After Effects...period.

Joey
          • 2. Re: Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Yes, Walker Effects' channel tools work wonders for this kind of stuff. Several of the Sapphire plugins have some chromatic trickery as well... You could also build a custom setup using CC Composite, Solid Composite and your other effects thrown in, then save it as a preset. Might save you from some pre-composing and duplicating. For a very subtle effect you could also combine Channel Blur and MiniMax effects.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              > Anyone know of some quick chromatic aberration plug-ins?

Kinda depends on what you are seeing when you say aberration. A still photographer imagines something quite different than an effects designer.
              I've simulated chroma fringing quickly and easily with Channel Shift applied to three copies of the footage. Activate only one primary color in each copy. All three layers are then blended using ADD. A few pixels of position offset, maybe a bit of blur or one dimension of blur or radial blur easily creates the image obtained by shooting through a cheap lens.

My inspiration for this came directly from a tutorial Brian Maffitt did when 3D first appeared in AE but Aharon Rabinowitz has done an excellent job over on the Cow:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/Jumbotron/video-tutorial.php

bogiesan
              • 4. Re: Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?
                Level 1
                Navarro_Parker@adobeforums.com wrote:
                > Anyone know of some quick chromatic aberration plug-ins? I know frischluft Flair has really cool Box Blur with chromatic aberration.
                >
                > Other than building the a three-layer comp with Shift Channel effect, are there any plug-ins that achieve this in one step? WalkerFX had something like that, but it got bought out by DigiEffects and never made the jump to Universal Binary.

Pixelan has a their creative ease set which includes a chromawarp.

http://www.pixelan.com/ce/features-cw.htm

AE PC platform only.
                • 5. Re: Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?
                  Level 1
                  I've done it almost exactly the way David described with definitely satisfactory results, except I altered the scale of the individual channel layers rather than their position. This creates an increasing degree of abrasion towards the edges.
                  • 6. Re: Generating chromatic aberration -- plug-ins?
                    Navarro Parker Level 3
                    Yeah, I've done what InvisibleRabbit has done. It looks great, but was interested in a one-step plug-in to take care of the busy work.

C.A. seems to be the new "Shine" and Lens Flare...

Here are some terrific examples

http://euqahuba.com/temp/forums/digger_web_sor3.mov

http://www.kotoc-produccions.com/cuatrobots/