6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2008 6:44 AM by (The_Goldy)

Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos

Hello guys!

im seeking some help regarding stereoscopic 3d animation. i've given some effects in a mono animation and now i want the same into my stereo 3d (left & right animations must've same effects but with 'eye seperation'). at present im manually moving the position points on each and every key frame towards left and right views, resulting into an improper (eye stressing) output. is there any other way of working with stereoscopic 3d animations ?
      if yes, then i'ld be very much glad to know that.
        • 1. Re: Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Does the 3D Glasses effect help to some extent? You may need to pre-compose quite a bit, but it would be an easy way to retain the correct perspective information. Beyond that You could possibly get something going with expressions by using stuff similar like that:

//===begin expression===

eyeSepReal=5; //assumed value in cm
          eyeSepPix=(72/2.54*eyeSepReal)*0.5; //assumes 72dpi, value by half for one side

//right eye

X=value[0]+eyeSepPix;
          Y=value[1];

[X,Y]

//===end expresssion===

The above would give a simple linear offset. For 3D layers you may need to include additional multipliers to compensate for Z and figure in lens curvature. For the left side you'd simply subtract instead of adding pixels.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            I've used the 3D Glasses effect quite successfully in this way. You create 2 identical comps containing the animation, then use expressions to control a camera within each comp, one spaced slightly apart from the other. The result is a comp representing each eye's view, combined in a third comp using 3D Glasses.

I've attached a very basic example project (CS3 only) that demonstrates what I mean.
            • 3. Re: Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              One thing to keep in mind with your camera rig, is both cameras need to be equal distance to the same focal point. You'll run into problems if you just have 2 cameras spaced apart, with their POI's equal to each other: When the POI is off to the side, both camera's need to rotate around a null to point at the POI, maintaining their distance. My best solution for my 3d camera rig in XSI was to use bones to control the spacing between the 2 cameras (bone lenth), and another bone to control the focal length for the 2 cameras.
              • 4. Re: Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos
                Level 1
                thanks a lot guys for your valuable suggestions!

i'ld hereby like to tell you something in brief that i am not making a 3d composition in after effects but importing some video - image sequences instead. infact, i've mad a 2d comp without a camera and there are no 3d layers in it. it's just a simple 2d comp with flat 2d layers containing videos made in 3ds max.

so, first i rendered out my 3d animation in max as tga sequence which i imported in after effects and applied various effects on it. then after finalizing the effects, i rendered out my comp as tga sequence.

but now i want to make this whole "mono" stuff into a "stereo 3d" one. so for that, i already had the scene ready in 3ds max and i just made 2 cameras (left & right) with equal distance bothways in the same scene, with eye separation and rendered out both the camera views as two separate sequences. after that i duplicated my comp in after effects and made 2 separate comps from that (left & right) and just replaced the left and right comp layers with the new left and right image sequences respectively. so now i am manually moving my position points of the effects and masks, with equal distances. thus it becomes a very hectic job to do so, every single time (as needed).

so is there any other way to work with this kind of stuff ?

i hope that i explained my problem to you properly!

anyways thanks again to you guys.
                • 5. Re: Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos
                  David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                  I was listening to Hybride speak at Siggraph last week about creating Journey To The Center Of The Earth. Basically they said rotoscoping really sucked on it, cause you have to do twice the work. And you can't just shift everything over, because it doesn't always line up. Sometimes things are occluded in one eye but not in the other.
                  • 6. Re: Transforming effects from mono videos to stereoscopic 3d videos
                    Level 1
                    means, the bottom line is that there is no solution for this kind of stuff, yet !
                    dont know how people work with 'stereoscopy' in such situation !!!!!