6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 8:17 AM by (Jim_Bob_Barnett)

Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]

I work for a software company and we make intructional videos and product videos all the time and we are starting to use .flv's a lot more these days. I usually export them in AE and have them set to about 800kbps, preserve RGB and 15fps. But the file sizes are a little bigger then what I thought they would be, the videos are generally around 5 minutes, were green screened so there is some compositing work going on in the timeline and the file sizes are generally around 40mbs....I feel like I can get those down so any help you guys can give me would be amazing!
      Thanks
      - Jim
        • 1. Re: Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]
          Level 1
          Jim_Bob_Barnett@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > I work for a software company and we make intructional videos and product videos all the time and we are starting to use .flv's a lot more these days. I usually export them in AE and have them set to about 800kbps, preserve RGB and 15fps. But the file sizes are a little bigger then what I thought they would be, the videos are generally around 5 minutes, were green screened so there is some compositing work going on in the timeline and the file sizes are generally around 40mbs....I feel like I can get those down so any help you guys can give me would be amazing!
          > Thanks
          > - Jim

The 512K setting with a 2Pass encode (using On2's Flix Pro) gives me
          files sizes about half of what your getting. I don't tweak anything more
          than that because there really doesn't seem any need to.

(I am assuming that the size matters because you intend for web delivery
          of the final product.)
          • 2. Re: Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]
            Level 1
            Hmmm ok well I guess I will have to buy On2's Flix Pro! It needs to be very sharp though as this goes on our companys website.
            Thanks
            • 3. Re: Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]
              Level 1
              I usually encode at 6ookbs using the "On2 VP6" encoder and use the original frame rate (29.97 for me...) and get good results. I do training videos that last anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes a piece and the file sizes don't seem to be an issue. They vary from 15Mb to 30Mb. The streaming (I know its not real streaming...) works nicely so even large files don't seem to be an issue for us.
              Here is a sample if you want to check it out for yourself
              http://www.qvincent.com/chris/vupdemo.html

It could always be a little sharper but it works fine for our audience...
              • 4. Re: Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]
                Level 1
                Also, your frame size will make a big difference too!
                I use 320 x 240.
                • 5. Re: Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]
                  Level 1
                  Jim_Bob_Barnett@adobeforums.com wrote:
                  > Hmmm ok well I guess I will have to buy On2's Flix Pro! It needs to be very sharp though as this goes on our companys website.
                  > Thanks

Try the demo first and compare Premiere On2 output to On2 Pro output and
                  see if the quality jump is worth it before you shell you money.

One quibble about On2 Pro, you cannot export directly out of the
                  application (Unless you also by the Flix Exporter in which case you can
                  export directly out of AE). You have to render out a lossless file first
                  and feed that to On2. So, something to take into consideration as this
                  adds more time and steps to workflow.

The second pass is usually most helpful in VBR (Variable Bit Rate)
                  encodes done at lower bitrates. If you have the luxury of be able to
                  deliver your product in a high, constant bitrate, then 2pass probably
                  won't give you much bang for your buck.
                  • 6. Re: Settings for the best .FLV video [need help ASAP!]
                    Level 1
                    The company I work for will be paying so I should just get the pro anyways correct?