4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 12:40 AM by Mylenium

Text from Illustrator

Hi
      When importing text from Photoshop to AE, I can leave it as
      live text and applay text efffects.
      But it dosn't work with text imported from Illustrator.
      The file is vector art and cannot converted to text.
      Is there a way to change it ?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Text from Illustrator
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Nope. Loading AI files is completely different from using PSDs. There is no way to access the text.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Text from Illustrator
            Level 1
            Thank you mylenium<br /><br /><Mylenium@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b645ba.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />Nope. Loading AI files is completely different from using PSDs. There is no <br />way to access the text.<br /><br />Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Text from Illustrator
              Joey Morelli Level 1
              There is no way to access the text.

Not completely true...

Yes, once the Illustrator text is converted to outlines (vector art) inside Illustrator, you can't change it...BUT...if you create text in Illustrator and leave it editable, you can still get to it & change it from AE by selecting the layer in the AE timeline and hitting Command/E (Mac) which means "Edit Original" and will launch Illustrator & show you that text. Save it out and it automatically updates in AE when you click in the Composition Window. If you must create outlines, save out a second file and convert THAT to outlines - leaving one file editable at all times.

That's what I would do.

Joey
              • 4. Re: Text from Illustrator
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Yes, of course. But I guess the original question was relating to native text layers ("text effects") after all. ;-)

Mylenium