4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 11:52 PM by Mylenium

ONLY USE MASK ANCHOR!

Level 1
      Hi there,

I have multiplied a layer in 16 copies, split up each layer into 1 of 16 masks which go from left to right of the screen. The layers are 3d and I want to rotate each one from the mask anchor point, which is centered within the mask, rather than using the layer anchor, which remains the same from one to the other, dead in the middle of the composition window. Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to move all the layer anchor points to match the mask anchorpoints within them?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Fredo
        • 1. Re: ONLY USE MASK ANCHOR!
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          AFAIK, there is no accessible x,y coordinate data for the mask's anchor point (2D).
          • 2. Re: ONLY USE MASK ANCHOR!
            Level 1
            yes, sorry, got confused as when I select and double click the mask there is a little x in the middle. Is there a way to set this simply? Or will I have to move everything manually?
            • 3. Re: ONLY USE MASK ANCHOR!
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Technically, the Mask anchor point only exists while you are in Transform-edit mode while working on the Mask. It is not an editable or accessible parameter.

Remember you're going to actually animate the rotation of the layer, not the mask. The mask is just gonna rotate with the layer.

You simply need to reposition the anchor point of each layer into the desired position - the Pan Behind tool is probably the easiest way.

If for some reason you don't want to change each layer's anchor point, you could use a masked solid as a Track Matte for each mask, providing you with an independent anchor (on the solid layer) for each mask.
              • 4. Re: ONLY USE MASK ANCHOR!
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                As Andrew said - there is no way to access mask data. In your situation you may simply get away with parenting the layers to a properly placed 3D Null. If you are using CS3, you could create also shape layers containing all your paths. Contrary to masks, each element in a shape layer has its own "Transform" property which makes the whole process function like a mask bounding box, but persistently and fully controllable.

Mylenium