4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 2:09 AM by (Annali)

Best file formats?

Hi!
      Which file format is best to import into AE? I use HD footage. I use Windows media but that is very slow. Mpeg2 is much bigger file size and seems to have less quality but is be easier/faster to view. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Best file formats?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          The best formats to use for any compositing application are lossless. I would suggest Quicktime Uncompressed, Quicktime Animation (100% quality) or Quicktime Pro-Res for the best results. The file sizes will be much larger than your MPEG2 files, however. That's the thing with video compositing - if you're serious about it, you need lots of hard drive space! :-)
          • 2. Re: Best file formats?
            Level 1
            Thank you! My problem though is that because the camera I use is a Sony HD camera with the format AVCHD, I have to bring the footage into the editing program Studio first and export it into a file that I can then import to AE. And in Studio my options are formats like Windows media for HD and Mpeg2 for HD. There's AVI but not for HD and no Quick time option. That's why I'm using Windows media, because out of these it seems to have the best quality.
            • 3. Re: Best file formats?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Have you downloaded the trial of Sony Vegas? It handles AVCHD and may provide more options to export...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Best file formats?
                Level 1
                No, I haven't done that, but yes looking at it it does handles AVCHD and Quick time and other formats. Thanks so much, that wonderful!! Finally a solution!