3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 2:53 AM by Mylenium

Multiprocessing in Final Render

I'm trying to get my multiprocessing to work in the final render (render queue) because it doesn't seem to work.
      When RAM-previewing (and MP is on) the system renders about 4 times faster as in the final render...

My system specs:
      HP workstation xw8600
      Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon5450
      8Gb memory
      nVidia Quadro FX3700
      Windows 64 bit

I've turned off openGL in Render settings (and in prefs).

Also: when rendering starts, RAM shows xx% used of 4,0 GB. Does this mean AE only uses half of RAM installed on my system?

Can somebody explain why AE isn't multiprocessing in final render?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Multiprocessing in Final Render
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Also: when rendering starts, RAM shows xx% used of 4,0 GB. Does this
          >mean AE only uses half of RAM installed on my system?

Please use the forum search in the future. This question is being asked twice each week and answered just as many times. You could easily have found it just by scrolling down the list. ;-) Anyway, AE is a 32bit application and as such never use more than 4GB for its main program instance. The background instances also each can use their own 4GB, thus maxing out RAM usage on the system.

>Can somebody explain why AE isn't multiprocessing in final render?

You are using a temporal effect, a footage, that is decoded by MediaCore and thus may use your video card, your disks are too slow, you use a non-multiprocessing CoDec or AE frowns on the little amount of RAM available for the extra instances. Pick one. The simplest solution is to attempt to render to a different image sequence format. They're much more resource-friendly for MP.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Multiprocessing in Final Render
            Level 1
            I did look for the solution in the forum, and tried all possibilities. Thanks for your reply though, because I didn't read anything about different Output formats yet.
            I'm used to exporting PNG-sequences. Exporting TGA's seems to do the trick.

Is there an output format known as 'the best' for rendering in MP?

Thanks very much.

Jean-Paul
            • 3. Re: Multiprocessing in Final Render
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              There is no such thing as a "best" format. ;-) Use whatever you like. I prefer to use TIFFs. They have the advantage of providing a 16bpc variation when needed and, due to their file structure, AE can decompress them really quick, allowing almost realtime playback even from average SATA discs without RAM previews (assuming you are not applying too many effects).

Mylenium