3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2008 11:08 PM by Mylenium

Effects that can do that?

I am looking for the "Color Picker" in AE curves " photoshop style .
      "Color picker to set black point, gray point and white point". Also is there a curve display options for snap to...?
      Thanks
      Other effects ?
        • 1. Re: Effects that can do that?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Not really. Technically these things, or more down to the point, how they work in Photoshop, do not make sense in a video- and animation-centric program. You would in most cases want soft limiting or simply don't mess with the color range at all, if it is meant to go back to the same target device (think of the setup in NTSC footage for instance, that makes your blacks a dark grey). If you really must have these point-and-click features, use Color Finesse's Curves. It will do exactly this, but in a smart way to not screw up your footage.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Effects that can do that?
            Level 1
            <<Technically these things, or more down to the point, how they work in Photoshop, do not make sense in a video- and animation-centric program.>>

Yes they do make sense, it's call "color correction tools"

<<You would in most cases want soft limiting>>

Are you talking about Broadcast legal output, REC 709 clipping or LUT. Nothing to do we the Photoshop curves tool.

<<or simply don't mess with the color range at all, if it is meant to go back to the same target device.>>

The target is what we the user choose! Sliding the black Levels or Curves all the way down to black will mess your picture too . Again nothing to do with the powerfull Curves picker tool

<<(think of the setup in NTSC footage for instance, that makes your blacks a dark grey).>>

I am thinking I thinking OK. If my clients want a flat picture with grey and no blacks that's his artistic decision. Again anyone can do that with Levels and Curves. OH I know! You are talking about 7.5 pedestal and a bug when someone click on the picture it goes to grey? Just kidding about the bug :)

<<If you really must have these point-and-click features, use Color Finesse's Curves. It will do exactly this,>>

They don't work the same. With Color-Finesse we can only click on a picture once a the time and there is no auto option where you can set up the picker range that I know of. And it is a Plugin that make our rendring slower that if we using the AE curves.

<< but in a smart way to not screw up your footage.>>

Smart is when you have option to adjust the tool. You must be kidding about screwing up my footage. It's like saying don't let him drive a car, let him take the train, that way he won't screw up and get into an accident. Of course with the train he won't be able to slow down and enjoy the view like he would with a car...
            Frustrating....
            • 3. Re: Effects that can do that?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I think you completely misunderstood me. Anyway, your post is nothing more than a rant, so I will refrain from making any further comments.

Mylenium