3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2008 9:36 AM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

XSI -> AE

David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
      So, I think I was finally successful with exporting objects out of Softimage XSI and importing them into After Effects.

I finally had a free moment to try to get Byron Nash's (http://armoredsquirrel.com/blog/?page_id=69) updated XSI->AE script working (http://www.armoredsquirrel.com/scripts/XSI_to_AE_XML_Export_v4.zip)

The procedure: XSI scene must use square pixels. It also said to use a drop frame format, such as 29.97. I haven't tested to see if it works with 24fps.

1) Select camera, nulls, objects to export. It creates a layer for each polygon on the object, so I just tested it with a cube to keep it simple.
      2) Run Script. Name xml file.
      3) Open AE. Create a new composition.
      4) run ae script. Select xml file.

One thing that I did notice was my AE rotating null was backwards compared to the rendered sequence from XSI. Since my null was just animated on Y, I was able to create an expression and multiply it by -1. Then it matched perfectly!! Hooray!!

Thanks Byron and Helge for creating the scripts. Thanks Thiago for pointing this out to me months ago..

-Dave
        • 1. Re: XSI -> AE
          Level 1
          I don't know much about this procedure, but drop frame or non drop frame has nothing do to with frames. It's only a way of counting time. Drop frame gives you accurate hours minutes and seconds, Non Drop Frame doesn't, but it doesn't drop any frames, it just counts differently.

I'd be surprised if any technique would differentiate because you can always switch to counting frames in the TLW instead of using time code and it won't change anything.
          • 2. Re: XSI -> AE
            Script works fine with 24fps. Actually has error checking in the script! :) I changed my XSI scene to 24fps, exported the xml, and tried incorrectly to import that into a 29.97fps comp. Script allowed me to click a button and automatically correct my comp's frame rate! Nice. :)
            • 3. Re: XSI -> AE
              My next test was to create 2 pillars with nulls at the tips to create lightning between them in AE. Rendered and exported the scene into AE. Problem was, the nulls are 3d and Advanced Lightning requires 2D screenspace coordinates.

Aaron Cobb kindly provided the expression to convert 3D coordinates to 2D:

L = thisComp.layer("Null 1"); fromComp(L.toComp(L.anchorPoint))

Now to test some camera movement...