7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2008 5:28 AM by (Neal_Fassnacht)

Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation

Level 1
      Hey everyone,

I am working on a project that involves adding dynamic content to a keynote presentation - short animations that must coincide with a spoken presentation that is being given.

I am unsure on what the best way is to do this..

I was thinking of creating small movie clips that live in each frame of a keynote presentation. That way the presenter could move through the slides as he spoke and the movies would match up with what he is saying, rather than making one large movie that is paused and played as he spoke.

Does anyone know of any examples of presentations that are like this? I can't find any online.

Thanks.
      Neal
        • 1. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
          Level 1
          Neal_Fassnacht@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I am working on a project that involves adding dynamic content to a keynote presentation - short animations that must coincide with a spoken presentation that is being given.
          >
          > I am unsure on what the best way is to do this..
          >
          > I was thinking of creating small movie clips that live in each frame of a keynote presentation. That way the presenter could move through the slides as he spoke and the movies would match up with what he is saying, rather than making one large movie that is paused and played as he spoke.
          >
          > Does anyone know of any examples of presentations that are like this? I can't find any online.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Neal

This sounds like something one would do with Powerpoint.
          • 2. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            You mention "keynote presentation", but I'm not sure whether you mean Apple Keynote, or just keynote.

Avoid Powerpoint at all costs - it is the most appallingly outdated piece of software I've ever had the misfortune to use.

If you have access to it (and a Mac), Apple Keynote will solve most of your problems. You can create animations and animation backgrounds as Quicktime files and integrate them perfectly into a Keynote presentation. You can use full frame background loop animations that will loop seamlessly.

The text animation and slide transition tools are damned impressive, and leave Powerpoint for dead. The link below is a starting point for Keynote, with tutorials, themes and other tools.

http://www.keynoteuser.com/downloads/
            • 3. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              >Avoid Powerpoint at all costs - it is the most appallingly outdated
              >piece of software I've ever had the misfortune to use.

Actually not. People just don't know how to use it. While I will admit that Keynote has some fancies PP hasn't, PP does just as much. A lot of the stuff being advertised as Keynote-specific is in PP, just - in the usual MS manner - often quite hidden. Anyway, use whatever you deem best. Also do not forget about Acrobat which with its video-embedding abilities would serve the case just as well.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
                While I'll concede the most recent version of Powerpoint (on Mac and PC) has come a long way, I must respectfully disagree.

Powerpoint's animation and transitions are far below par in quality, variety and design compared to keynote. Text animations seem to be rasterized before processing, so magnification-based effects pixelate and soften noticeably. And more importantly, Powerpoint's antialiasing is just more harsh or something - it just doesn't look as nice.

I recently ran graphics for a HD television awards show completely from Keynote - dazzled the broadcast boys in the crew who would normally have a rack full of gear to do the same job.
                • 5. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
                  Level 1
                  Well I am actually pretty sure that I am going to do this in After Effects or Flash - and export them to use in Apple Keynote because I need to create very custom animations that match the look of the clients website.

The graphics are going to be sort of like a big rubix-cube that has lots of different videos in each square. As the presenter introduces each new part of the presentation the animation in the background will rotate onto position to show the video that is being talk about. There will also be images of products and people involved with each project moving next to the video "rubix-cube. "

I was wondering if it would make more sense to just make this a big movie (quicktime) that is paused and played as the presenter speaks. Or would it make sense to chop it up into small video clips and put them in slides within Apple Keynote - so that the presenter can just move ahead to slides and have each video start when the slide changes.

Not sure what to do...
                  • 6. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
                    I would definitely build segments into each slide so the Presenter or operator has clean, foolproof control over each segment's playback. You don't want to be fiddling with pause controls on the day.

I'd create the movie in one AE comp, with 1 second static points at the pause locations (with absolutely nothing animated at those points) so that the pauses are seamless.

From there, it's up to you.

You can render multiple Quicktime segments as a Quicktime-per-slide for the Keynote presentation.

You can render one long Quicktime, then use Quicktime Pro (or any non-linear editor) to export each segment as a Quicktime-per-slide for the Keynote presentation.

Or, you can render one long Quicktime, place it into each slide of the Keynote presentation, and define in and out points for playback on each page using the Keynote Inspector's Quicktime tab.

I use Quicktime Animation codec at 85% quality (with keyframes) for this kind of job, and have no problem playing HD 1080 files from a 7200RPM hard drive. It is far cleaner looking than H.264 or any other MPEG variants, but small enough for reliable playback.
                    • 7. Re: Using After Effects to create dynamic keynote presentation
                      Level 1
                      Thank you that was exactly what I was looking to find out. :)