7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 8:55 AM by Mylenium

Sudden Problem w/PNGs!

voxL Level 1
      As of today, AE is choking on my grayscale PNG files, even those which are in older comps.
      The error messages are:
      Internal verification failure, sorry! You can only assign RBG profiles.
      AEGP Plugin PNGIO Support: Unable to decode PNG file.

Why would this occur - even on older files which have been working correctly until today?
        • 1. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
          Did anything change on your system? Install any new hardware or software? Any recent updates?
          • 2. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
            voxL Level 1
            No, however, in looking further into my other PNGs, I don't think any of them are grayscale, so maybe this issue has always been there. If a gs png is imported, the thumbnail displays correctly in the project window, but AE chokes on the image when it tries to display it in a comp.
            The problem goes away when the png is converted to rgb.
            Thanks for the reply.
            • 3. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              What color depth and color profiles do you use (if any)? I could only imagine this happening in 16bpc or 32bpc mode or by assigning a output simulation profile other than sRGB/ Adobe RGB...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
                voxL Level 1
                The images were 8bit grayscale, saved from PShop. When converted to RGB, they work properly. But as mentioned, they don't behave consistently in AE.
                • 5. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
                  Yepp, seeing it on my end as well now. Seems to be a bug. The same file imported as a greyscale TIFF behaves correctly :-/.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    I'm sure that you know this already, but a reminder never hurts.

Bug reports are greatly appreciated. You can send email or use the web form:

aebugs@adobe.com

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

You can also contact Adobe Technical Support for help with issues like this. In some cases, the Technical Support folks may know of a workaround for a known issue. You are entitled to a certain number of free calls for "installation issues, basic usage questions, and troubleshooting unexpected behavior for documented features".

For information on what free technical support you're entitled to, see this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/customer/gss.html
                    • 7. Re: Sudden Problem w/PNGs!
                      Bug filed, workaround as follows: Safe the PNG via "Save for Web". The issue only occurs with files saved directly from PS using "Save as...", so PS is messing up the header, it seems.

Mylenium