4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2008 12:07 PM by (Mark_Petersen)

MPGs/MainConcept/no audio

From AE CS3, I've rendered MPG movies. Video/audio play fine on my system using Windows Media Player.

When I send the movies to other Windows users/customers, they see video playing but no audio. The higher versions of Windows Media Player are of no help in diagnosing the problem; the old standby mplayer2 complains about not being able to locate the right codec.

So it would seem Adobe probably installed the necessary MainConcept MPEG codec on my system. Fine for me, but what do I do for my customers who don't have the Adobe suite installed on their systems? Where do they/I find the correct codec? They don't want to encode anything, just decode to watch my MPGs.

Please help!

>> Mark
        • 1. Re: MPGs/MainConcept/no audio
          Level 1
          Mark_Petersen@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > From AE CS3, I've rendered MPG movies. Video/audio play fine on my system using Windows Media Player.
          >
          > When I send the movies to other Windows users/customers, they see video playing but no audio. The higher versions of Windows Media Player are of no help in diagnosing the problem; the old standby mplayer2 complains about not being able to locate the right codec.
          >
          > So it would seem Adobe probably installed the necessary MainConcept MPEG codec on my system. Fine for me, but what do I do for my customers who don't have the Adobe suite installed on their systems? Where do they/I find the correct codec? They don't want to encode anything, just decode to watch my MPGs.
          >
          > Please help!
          >
          > > Mark
          >

The first, and obvious question to ask is whether you have checked to
          make sure you are in fact rendering out the audio as well as the video
          when you rendered your mpgs.
          • 2. Re: MPGs/MainConcept/no audio
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >Fine for me, but what do I do for my customers who don't have the
            >Adobe suite installed on their systems? Where do they/I find the
            >correct codec?

You don't. These CoDecs are meant for Encore, Premiere and AE only, basically anything that uses MediaCore. Without the complementary components they are useless. Also it's pretty pointless to use MPEG-II (which is probably what you are referring to, as AE does not output MPEG-1) on vanilla Windows systems. MediaPlayer itself only plays multiplexed files compliant to DVD specs, and it took them years to implement it due to their licensing war with the MPEG LA. All other CoDecs that play unmuxed streams, transport streams or whatever are usually installed by other applications such as Nero, TV software various players or authoring tools. Based on that, you'd do a lot better by creating Windows Media files....

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: MPGs/MainConcept/no audio
              Level 1
              Yes I have in fact rendered out audio as well as video. They play fine on my system using Windows Media Player.
              • 4. Re: MPGs/MainConcept/no audio
                Level 1
                Thank you for the reply.

I've discovered that on vanilla Windows systems, the process of installing the free open source media player VLC (www.videolan.org) apparently installs the necessary codecs that allow my MPGs to play with audio. Not only do they play in VLC, but audio now plays in Windows Media Player, when it didn't before.

>> Mark