4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2008 3:33 AM by Mylenium

"Obsolete" filters

bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
      I have several older Cycore fitlers in my AECS3>Plugins?Effects>CycoreFX folder. Among these are the classic particle system filters that I loved using back in the Final Effects and Studio Effects days of yore. when I open older projects (such as tutorials and lessons from The Anvel) these filters load with "obsolete" in the effects controls but I've got complete control over them. But I can't apply them in new CS3-based projects; they do not appear in any lists and they are not visible to the Effects Search functions.
      I can copy and paste them between projects, which is tedious, but fun.

I guess I'm asking if there's a way to make them more useful to me? Is there anything i can do to modify the plugin to make it appear in CS3?

bogiesan
        • 1. Re: "Obsolete" filters
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          No. The "obsolete" statement reflects the changes of the AE plugin API, hence it is the program, not the plugins that decides how to treat those plugins. At any rate, not sure why you would still want to use those old plugins when you can have them all as renewed versions from Cycore and BorisFX (which would be the proper way of making them show up natively)...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: "Obsolete" filters
            Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
            Keep those Obsolete Plugins if you can afford the hd space (they're small).

When you need to open legacy projects that have those old API plugins, you'll need them. (Last year I worked for a client who had some old projects with EFFECTS->TEXT in their approved animation aep. It's good to see how those projects work, so you can take them apart and retool them if needed.)
            • 3. Re: "Obsolete" filters
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              Thought as much.

I have a completely unreasonable, deep, and ancient loathing for all things Boris and, besides that, all of my legacy Final/Studio Effects filters were stupidly expensive. The original publisher, Metcreations, was sold off to Media 100 and those rat bastards financed many Caribbean cruises on what we paid for updates.

There is nothing quite like them. Particle Systems LE is the only particle generator I know of that uses the alpha shape as the emitter. It's cool.

bogiesan
              • 4. Re: "Obsolete" filters
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Hehe, good points. I never have used those plugins, so I wasn't much aware of the issues. Anyway, Particular can easily use Alpha info to control emission, so this feature is not unique...

Mylenium