9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 7:20 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?

Level 1
      i'm trying to make and effect like holding a 3d flame in the palm of my hand.
      may be throw the flame or a flame shot

could some one give me a little info on how to accomplish this?
      like the name of such an effect and the plugin to use. If possible a direct me to a tutorial
      hope u d help thank you
        • 1. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
          TradeWind Level 3
          Perhaps you could search the web for footage of a flame (purchased footage or freebies) shot against black, masking it to appear as though it appears in your hand, animating it with motion blur to throw it.

The key for really selling it will be making sure you tweak the audio just right for wind interaction and such.
          • 2. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
            You might be able to pull this off with Trapcode's form:

http://www.trapcode.com/products_form.html

On that page you can scroll down to "A on fire". You can watch the little QT and/or download their AE project file. This might get you started. But it will tough regardless of the route you take.

You can download the trial for Form before buying, to see if the results you're looking for are feasible with it.
            • 3. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
              Level 1
              thank you Kevin Brock
              i was searching for the trapcode version of it
              creative cow has the cc filter one
              • 4. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
                akribie Level 2
                http://www.andrewdavidson.com/aeflame/ is free.

Although it is 2D, making it face the camera might be good enough.
                • 5. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
                  A. Cobb Level 3
                  I wouldn't recommend AEFlame for this. It generates gorgeous fractals, but it's not really a fire simulator. It also has more parameters than any plugin I've ever seen, and takes a TON of experimentation to even scratch the surface.

It's also not Intel-native on the Mac side last time I checked, just FYI.
                  • 6. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
                    Level 1
                    lioric_lionheart@adobeforums.com wrote:
                    > i'm trying to make and effect like holding a 3d flame in the palm of my hand.
                    > may be throw the flame or a flame shot
                    >
                    > could some one give me a little info on how to accomplish this?
                    > like the name of such an effect and the plugin to use. If possible a direct me to a tutorial
                    > hope u d help thank you

www.detonationfilms.com has lots and lots of flame, flash, smoke and so
                    on. They have a generous number of free samples. They are 2d however,
                    but, being real flames and flashes, provide the realism desired.
                    • 7. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
                      Level 1
                      >
                      > like the name of such an effect and the plugin to use. If possible a direct me to a tutorial

• 8. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
                        Level 1
                        >

• 9. Re: Flame ? fire? flame on? what do you call it?
                          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                          Shoot it.
                          Fun and satisfies that pyro urge all of us have.

Visit a magicians supply house or joke shop for a wide selection of fire and sparking effects, colorants, accelerants and ignition options including fuses and remote squibs.

Shoot with manual focus, manual aperture against a solid black background. You may need to shoot at very fast frame rate or shutter speed and post-process the footage. Fairly simple to pull a good matte from such footage, maybe you will need two mattes.

Creating believable fire in After Effects is easy. Just visit
                          http://motiongraphicslab.com/
                          to see how simple it can be with Fractal Noise, Tint or Colorama. Add a bit of particle system-created smoke and sparks.

You will need to motion track the hand and you will want to apply a flickering light to the scene. That's really complicated because the hand is not a 3D object but it's not impossible.

If you haven't shot it yet, find a miniature LED candle that you can place in the talent's hand. This will give you a hint of flickering that youc an expand and will give you a perfect tracking target.

bogiesan