6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 11:37 AM by (chaletart)

interactive text

Is it possible or do I need a script to do this...

Say I have a bunch of text on screen and I want a small line of it to shrink or grow and the text around it to shuffle closer or further away as needed. Besides manually keying everything, is there a way to script a behavior?

thanks
        • 1. Re: interactive text
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          What do you mean by "a small line of it" ?

You could create a line of text to move on a path around your "bunch of text". You may need to create an expression for the size of the text, but to "shuffle closer", you could animate just the path.
          • 2. Re: interactive text
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Well, why do you want to script? A simple scale text animator is all you need (or a position animator with per-character 3D in CS3). A few keyframes on the animator offset, setting its mode to per line and its done with only a handful of keyframes.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: interactive text
              Level 1
              I have a page of text that is broken into multiple 1 to 3 word statements. The "statements" are going to fly in and create the page of text. They want to call out one of these statements periodically over the course of the segment. the statement will grow and affect the other pieces of text around it. I wish I could do it line by line...but...it does not look like it.
              • 4. Re: interactive text
                Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
                Are you using Range Selectors to change the text (per line)
                • 5. Re: interactive text
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  I still don't see why this should be a problem. As Ko was already hinting, it all depends on the range selectors and their values, including the previously mentioned offset. Just like you can use lines, you can use whole words as the driving parameter. Also don't forget, that you can stack together as many selectors and parameters as are required if you can't get this with a single one. In your case in addition to the scale, a position or kerning animator seems required. From your description there would not be a different way, anyways. Highlighting text with expressions in the manner you describe is not possible, as access to several internal parameters is not in the toolkit and even if you based it on the count of letters in a given context, it would involve quite some code in which you'd still have to reference some keyframed animation to determine the length of string st o be displayed. Or, on the other hand, you'd deal with a large number of separate text layers, where you still need to type and place each one individually. Simply have a little patience and make your mind up about a good strategy.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: interactive text
                    Level 1
                    lol...thanks Mylenium...

I went with a "large number of separate text layers"....now for the patience...

thanks again all!