11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 8:39 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...

hi guys. an After Effects newbie here. after using Final Cut Express for years, i've decided to give After FX a try as well.

a couple of quick questions...

1. is there a crop tool? how do i crop a picture? can i somehow drag edges and crop an image like in Final Cut?

2. is it possible to copy and paste effects from one sequence to another, instead of applying the same effects separately to each layer/sequence every time? (in Final Cut, the keyboard command for that is Option+V, as opposed to Command+V. is there a similar thing in After FX?

3. when splitting a layer, is it not possible to keep its bits on the same video track? why does splitting a layer create new tracks? i don't want that :-(

i'd appreciate it if you could reply.
        • 1. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >1. is there a crop tool? how do i crop a picture? can i somehow drag
          >edges and crop an image like in Final Cut?

No. You use masks for that and/or adjust the composition size. Nested compositions can be fitted into parent comps to compensate, if necessary.

>2. is it possible to copy and paste effects from one sequence to
          >another, instead of applying the same effects separately to each
          >layer/sequence every time? (in Final Cut, the keyboard command for
          >that is Option+V, as opposed to Command+V. is there a similar thing
          >in After FX?

Of course - just the same. Copy&paste. These procedures are context sensitive, so it may be important to select the effects properly first and/or the properties to be inserted. Frequently used settings can be saved to presets and re-applied.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7c36. html

>3. when splitting a layer, is it not possible to keep its bits on
          >the same video track? why does splitting a layer create new tracks?
          >i don't want that

You know, it's this old horizontal workflow (arranging layers at different times) vs. vertical workflow (blending multiple layers at the same time) thing. You wouldn't expect FCP or Motion to give you Add, Multiply or other blendmodes without layers actually overlapping in a certain order, would you? Neither would you get this in AE without a stacking order (short of even more extra effects, of course). If you're not using it, you still can't blame anyone for making it this way. ;-) Simply free your mind from all your preconceptions. BTW, you are working with layers, not with tracks, which implies two fundamentally different principles. You'll get there, eventually, trust me...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
            Level 1
            thanks a lot for such a quick reply! much appreciated.

i may carry on asking questions in this thread, if nobody minds.

for example, here's another situation i'm in at the moment. keying effects in After FX seem to be much better and more effective than in Final Cut Express. but unfortunately, i can't import LiveType animated backgrounds into an AE project. so the question is whether it is possible to export footage in such a way that the keyed out background stays transparent all the way to Final Cut, where i will then add LiveType backgrounds to it.
            • 3. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
              Level 1
              A.R.@adobeforums.com wrote:
              > thanks a lot for such a quick reply! much appreciated.
              >
              > may carry on asking questions in this thread, if nobody minds.
              >
              > for example, here's another situation i'm in at the moment. keying effects in After FX seem to be much better and more effective than in Final Cut Express. but unfortunately, i can't import LiveType animated backgrounds into an AE project. so the question is whether it is possible to export footage in such a way that the keyed out background stays transparent all the way to Final Cut, where i will then add LiveType backgrounds to it.

There is a render preset called Lossless With Alpha, which should fit
              the bill.
              • 4. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                This may help:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/porting_between_fcp_ae.html
                • 5. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                  Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
                  You'll also want to check out AUTOMATIC DUCK from Wes Plate.

It allows you to export the timeline from FCP to AE.
                  • 6. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    Haven't read the article, admittedly, but for LiveType it should also be possible to import it into Motion, save a Motion project and import that project into AE by choosing "Quicktime Movie" as format. I'm not the best of FCP Studio users, though, as I'm primarily interested in DVDSP and a bit of Motion and have it all running on just a notebook, so I'm not using it all that often. Therefore my info may not be entirely correct.

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      Of course, another alternative is to export the backgrounds out of Livetype and then composite them in AE. This gives you the advantage of visible editability while compositing, and extra tools like advanced blending modes.

Just a sidenote - I don't believe Automatic Duck works with Final Cut Express, only with Final Cut Pro.
                      • 8. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                        Level 1
                        thank you all so much for all this useful information. i've checked the links and followed the given advice. the easiest solution for keeping transparency was, of course, the Lossless With Alpha setting on export. cheers for that tip. the only minus is that resulting rendered files are twice larger than their originals. but that's not a big deal.
                        • 9. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                          Level 1
                          hi there. here i am again with another question.

when i time-stretch a layer, the time graph stays of the same initial length thus leaving the extended bit out. how do i make the time graph longer than the layer or as long as it has become?
                          • 10. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                            (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                            Increase the duration of your composition.
                            Go to the Composition menu, and choose, "Composition Settings" (ctrl-k on windows, cmd-k on mac).
                            Increase the value in the duration field as needed.
                            • 11. Re: Final Cut User > After FX Newbie. A few questions...
                              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                              > when i time-stretch a layer, the time graph stays of the same initial length thus leaving the extended bit out. how do i make the time graph longer than the layer or as long as it has become? <

welcome tot he family, we were all new to AE at one time or another. Two things you need to learn how to use:
                              Go to help menu.
                              Take the manual to the gym with you.

bogiesan