10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 5:24 AM by (Victor_Simon)

DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition

The image rendition on DNG Profile Editor on my machine(Windows SP2)is very different from that of the same image in Camera Raw 4.5.

The CR image looks correct, whereas the Profile Editor image has a strong magenta cast. This makes the Profile Editor unusable.

Can anyone please tell me what's wrong here???
        • 1. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          >Can anyone please tell me what's wrong here?

Perhaps a clairvoyant or a mind reader can. :/

What do you mean by the "image rendition on DNG Profile Editor"? The PE is for making and editing profiles that you then install and use in ACR, not for "rendering images".

How are you using it? How did you shoot the image of the Color Checker? Do you know how to use Target Wizard in the PE? Do you know how the PE works in the first place and what it is for? Did you read and complete all the tutorials on the PE?

You have also given no indication as to your machine, the exact version of Photoshop (it should be 10.0.1), etc.
          • 2. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
            Level 1
            Ramon,

What I mean is that the colour balance on the screen of an image opened in PE - the starting point for the tutorials - is different from the colour balance when the same image is opened in CR. Since the PE is used to modify profiles to be used in CR based on visual response of the user, the colour balances should match.

Yes, I have been through the tutorials and yes, I understand what PE is for.

The colour checker was shot exactly according to instructions and I have used the file in other applications with success.

The version of Photoshop is 10.0, the machine is a dual core Athlon 4200

At least I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem, (clairvoyants or not).
            • 3. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              You should be running Photoshop 10.0.1, not 10.0.

Sorry, but I have no idea how you have set Photoshop or your monitor, what profile you're using in ACR, etc., and still don't quite understand what you're doing.

My suggestion would be to post in the ACR forum too.
              • 4. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                Thomas Knoll Level 2
                Make likely you have a corrupted monitor profile on your system.
                • 5. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                  Level 1
                  Thomas, thanks for the suggestion. I have tried three different monitor profiles, including the monitor's own, and the same thing happens. Incidentally, the RGB and Lab numbers that PE displays seem to be wrong - unless I'm misunderstanding what they are indicating.

When I make a new camrea profile using the colour checker it looks fine when used with CR, so everything seems to be working properly except the display and the numbers.

Mark
                  • 6. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                    Level 1
                    Following up on my last post, I have established that the problem seems to be in the interaction between PE and the monitor(NEC 2690). On a different computer with a narrow gamut screen the problem does not occur, but changing the monitor profile on the NEC to a sRGB profile does not fix the problem. I'm now completely lost.....I cannot inderstand why PE shows this problem, but CR and Photoshop don't. Does PE communicate with the monitor differently from CR and PS?

Mark
                    • 7. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                      MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                      I am running PE on the same monitor (NEC 2690) and see the same results in CR and PE.

Make sure that you don't have any special image settings applied when viewing this image in CR (like changes to HSL sliders, etc.).

I can take a look at your DNG file (the one that's giving you different appearances in the two apps) if you want. Email to madmanchan2000@yahoo.com.
                      • 8. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                        Eric-<br /><br />First, thanks for the awesome work.<br /><br /><The image rendition on DNG Profile Editor on my machine(Windows SP2)is very different from that of the same image in Camera Raw 4.5.><br /><br />I've had a similar problem, and assume I'm goofing up by double-dipping color management somehow.  I don't have a color cast, rather the PE preview image is very bright and saturated (relative to preview in ACR) - the hues are pretty much correct.<br /><br />The only adjustment in ACR (applied in the creation of the DNG file AND during viewing of that file in ACR for comparison to PE preview) is +20 Brightness.  No adjustments were made in Camera Calibration Panel, etc.  Should there be no adjustments period?  (actually, I tried that, and it still didn't match).  Is it correct to use the Adobe Standard Beta 1 profile to create the DNG (this is the profile I am editing in PE)?  I'll send you a copy of my DNG, if you don't mind.  I'm working on a calibrated LaCie 320.  Thanks!
                        • 9. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                          Correct, no adjustments, period. You changed the +20 Brightness in CR, which changes the tone curve considerably by making it much dimmer. So the image will look much darker in CR relative to PE.

That said, if you want to apply such adjustments in PE, use the "Apply Camera Raw Adjustments" from the Options menu. However, I generally don't recommend using this option when building general profiles since then you are basing your judgment on image-specific settings. Instead, you have the option of modifying the tone curve directly within CR (2nd tab), which will allow you to make things dimmer if you so desire.
                          • 10. Re: DNG Profile Editor Colour Rendition
                            Level 1
                            Thanks Eric! It's been so long since I've used original ACR default values, I was thinking of "zeroed out" as being the unadjusted state.