14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2008 8:37 AM by (Joseph_Chiang)

error parsing file

Trying to convert Canon CR2 files from a Digital Rebel XSi to DNG. I downloaded the lastest version of DNG Converter (4.5.0.175) to my Mac, selected the files and DNG came back with errors parsing all the files. Same thing happens when I import to Bridge and try to convert at that time. My camera is on the supported cameras list, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Any thoughts?
        • 1. Re: error parsing file
          Level 1
          I've solved it. Had to update the Canon firmware from 1.04 to 1.09. All the new pictures are working correctly. However, if someone has a suggestion on how to convert the pictures taken under 1.04, I'm all ears.
          • 2. Re: error parsing file
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            > if someone has a suggestion on how to convert the pictures taken under 1.04, I'm all ears.

Use the Canon software?
            • 3. Re: error parsing file
              Level 1
              I have to admit I hit myself on the forehead and said "Doh!" when you suggested the Canon software, because it didn't occur to me. (Usually the camera maker's software is evil, hard to use, and never gets installed on my computer).

Unfortunately, the Canon software didn't work either. This leads me to think that the files are unsalvageable. Canon can't process them in any way, Adobe's software can't convert them to another form, Photoshop can't open them, and none of the geotagging programs I use can tag them. Luckily it's only about two weeks of RAW files, and I have jpegs for all of them. Still, it's massively annoying that Canon would ship a camera with a firmware version that doesn't work with the software in the same box. :(
              • 4. Re: error parsing file
                Panoholic Level 2
                > Still, it's massively annoying that Canon would ship a camera with a firmware version that doesn't work with the software in the same box

Care to upload a sample CR2? I wonder what they had messed up this time.
                • 5. Re: error parsing file
                  Level 1
                  I'd be glad to, but I have no clue how to upload here.
                  • 6. Re: error parsing file
                    Panoholic Level 2
                    use yousendit.com

You don't need to register, you don't even have to use valid email addresses. After having uoloaded the file, you receive a URL for the downloading; pls post that here.
                    • 7. Re: error parsing file
                      Level 1
                      Thanks for the help.

It's up at https://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlCM25HcWZoeWJIRGc9PQ
                      • 8. Re: error parsing file
                        Panoholic Level 2
                        Kathy,

bad news: nothing helps. Only 1/4 of the raw image data is present. The file length too indicates, that something is wrong: this one is 4.1 MB, while other, correct raw files from the 450D are 14-18 MB large.

A tiny bit good news: the embedded JPEG is all right. It is 2256x1504 (half-size), medium quality.

I extracted and uploaded it from the raw file, 545 KB:

http://www.panopeeper.com/Download/KathyApplebaum_DNG_RawError_2008Sep01_0007.jpg

I guess some of your programs can extract the JPEGs. Perhaps Breeze Browser (sp), I don't know, I don't use it.

It is unbelievable, what these suckers can afford: releasing a firmware with such an error - even a cursory look at the file size reveals, that there is a serious error.

(But don't think, that Nikon is better: for example a few months ago they too made an error with like effect - and that was not the only one.)
                        • 9. Re: error parsing file
                          Level 1
                          Good to know I'm not completely crazy. :)

Luckily I shot RAW + jpeg, so I have all the jpegs already (and at higher resolution). Looks like the RAWs from before the upgrade are going in the trash.

Thanks again for your help on this. Much appreciated.
                          • 10. Re: error parsing file
                            Panoholic Level 2
                            Kathy,

one more thing: I noticed, that an XMP tag is present in the raw file. Can not be, that the program, which inserted the XMP data, ruined the raw file? Don't you have the original raw?
                            • 11. Re: error parsing file
                              Level 1
                              That would have been Adobe Bridge adding the XMP stuff. I looked back at all the RAW files still in Time Machine; all of the RAWs taken with the old firmware are too small and all of the RAWs taken after the update are 15-18 MB. I know that I hadn't tagged every RAW with Bridge, so I still think the firmware was the issue, not Bridge.
                              • 12. Re: error parsing file
                                Panoholic Level 2
                                Ok, then there is nothing to do.

On the other hand, I noticed some format errors in the inserted metadata; I want to report them on the Bridge forum, but I need to know if it is Mac or Windows?

Thanks.
                                • 13. Re: error parsing file
                                  Level 1
                                  Mac, running OS X 10.5.4
                                  • 14. Re: error parsing file
                                    I also had an error parsing files with the DNG converter after the following happened;

1) Connected NTFS (PC) formatted external USB2 HD to Mac.

2) Downloaded NEF and DNG files to Mac.

3) NEF and DNG files not readable in PS CS3 or Lightroom in Mac. Get "not right kind of document" message in PS.

4) Image files on NTFS formatted external USB2 HD not readable in PS CS3 or Lightroom on PC. Get "not right kind of document" message in PS.

5) Attempted to reconvert NEF and DNG files with DNG converter, get "error parsing files" message in converter.

Any one have any ideas how to fix thus corrupted image files?

Thanks,
                                    Joe