6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2008 11:21 PM by (LaurensR)

DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7

After downloading RAW-files from Dynax D5 in Dimage Master Lite (using Windows Vista) I converted them with Adobe DNG converter 4.5. When trying to open the DNG-files in Photoshop 7.0 it says the documents are not found. Anybody who knows a solution?
      Thnkx.
      Laurens R
        • 1. Re: DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7
          ArrrBee Level 1
          If I am not mistaken Photoshop 7 was the first and only version of Photoshop
          that had ACR as a seperate for cost plug-in. Meaning without this seperate
          plug-in it doesn't support RAW files. I have no idea where you would get the
          plug-in. It was offered for sale at that time but isn't any more. My
          suggestion would be to buy the upgrade for Photoshop CS3 now and you should
          then be able to get a free upgrade to CS4. Contact Adobe about this, but
          generally they give you the upgrade to the newest non-released version when
          you buy the current version after the annoucnement of the next version but
          before it ships. If you don't upgrade now you probably will never get raw
          support for 7, if you can find the plug-in I think that was before DNG
          anyways so it still may not do you any good and if you don't upgrade now you
          won't be able to upgrade at all. Photoshop CS after CS4 is released will be
          the oldest version that you can upgrade from, 7 is the oldest version you
          can upgrade from for CS3. So it is a now or nothing for upgrading.

Robert
          • 2. Re: DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
            The plug-in Robert mentioned is not available anywhere that I know of. It probably wouldn't do you any good anyway because it did not support DNG files, and only supported a few cameras that were available at that time. Photoshop 7 is not going to enable you to work on raw images in any fashion. If you don't want to upgrade then you will have to find another third party raw converter that will convert your raw images to a file format that Photoshop 7 will recognize.
            • 3. Re: DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7
              Level 1
              Hello Robert & Jim
              Thank you for your invaluable comment. Never thought of this (im)posibility. Never expected such an omission of Adobe.
              LaurensR
              • 4. Re: DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                I don't understand you can call this an omission by Adobe. The lifecycle of Photoshop 7 ended just as raw technology was hitting the market. Photoshop and the Camera Raw plug-in have changed dramatically since that time. Adobe has to keep changing to accommodate the plethora of cameras being introduced as well as new operating systems. Personally, I think it is unreasonable for you to expect Photoshop 7 to support a camera or a raw format that wasn't even on the drawing board at the time.

The only thing that is kind of frustrating to me is that, in order to keep current with the evolution of Camera Raw, one has to always have the most recent version of Photoshop. I wish Adobe could offer some sort of patch for a reasonable fee that would allow users of older versions to have the capability of using the most recent Camera Raw plug-in. But it has been explained that operating systems and DLL libraries change so radically that even doing that becomes impractical.
                • 5. Re: DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7
                  ArrrBee Level 1
                  It really isn't an ommisson. Adobe at that time was just starting to support
                  raw. Even if they plug-in was still available it would not support your
                  camera and would not support DNG since DNG came out after that.

There is a free raw processor. I have not used it, but it is free and may
                  help. http://www.rawtherapee.com/ It does support the Min. 5D.

Robert
                  • 6. Re: DNG converted Minolta 5D-files do not work in Photoshop7
                    Level 1
                    You have a point. I was perhaps a little too frustrated not being able
                    using Photoshop 7 with RAW. Your advise about CS3 has worked. I downloaded a
                    trial version and the Minolta RAW-files are automatically converted. Praise
                    for Adobe, but also tears for having to write off Photosop 7 after so many
                    years of loyal service.

Laurens R