9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 8:11 PM by (xbytor)

DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles

Hi!

I tried to search for an answer but did not find any.
      Question - how and when DNG Converter will use Camera Profiles?
      How do I specify which profile to use?

I assume it can use them - version 5.2 comes bundled with them...

Тhanks for the help!

P.S. Since new version has installer, I'd suggest to create uninstaller too.
        • 1. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          The DNG converter does NOT use the camera profiles. The profiles are used by Camera Raw and Lightroom. When using ACR/Lightroom you can go to the calibration section and choose your profile. You will only see profiles listed that are appropriate for use with your camera model.
          • 2. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
            Thomas Knoll Level 2
            The DNG Converter DOES use the new camera profiles. That is why we install them along with the DNG Converter.

If an existing raw file already has settings set by Camera Raw or Lightroom, the DNG Converter will use those settings when building the JPEG previews and deciding which profile to embed as the primary camera profile in the DNG.

Otherwise, it will use whatever custom defaults you have set for you camera model (in Camera Raw or Lightroom).

Or if you have not set custom defaults, it will use the Adobe default settings, which starting with version 5.2, now uses the new "Adobe Standard" profiles for all models that have them.

In any case, it needs to have the camera profiles installed to work correctly.
            • 3. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
              Level 1
              Thomas_Knoll@adobeforums.com wrote:
              > The DNG Converter DOES use the new camera profiles. That is why we install them along with the DNG Converter.
              >

Is this specifiable via the command line interface? If not, I'd like to put that
              on the wishlist (along with my previously requested interface for tif and jpg
              input files :). In theory, I assume I could (temporarily) override the
              crs:CameraProfile setting in one of the CameraRaw/Defaults xmp files, but that
              would be a bit of a hack.

-X
              • 4. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
                Level 1
                Hi!

Thanks Thomas for an explanation, but I'm afraid it raises more questions.

I see that DNG Converter needs to deal with profiles when generating previews.
                But the following is not really clear for me:

>Otherwise, it will use whatever custom defaults you have set for you camera model (in Camera Raw or Lightroom).

This somehow implies that DNG Converter reads settings from installed Lightroom. I'm not sure that this is the case - DNG Converter seems to be completely independent product.
                What it probably means is that whatever is in side input raw file will be used, be it custom setting or specific profile.

And this begs a question - what happens with files straight from the camera?

Also, those profiles worry me a bit - I was under impression that DNG file is self-contained entity, with all information needed to "develop" it, same as film negative. Now I have to worry about keeping separate, hidden folder with profiles up-to-date? There is no trace anywhere in the system what version of profiles is installed - how do I check if I need to upgrade?

If I give DNG file to someone, who uses DNG-compatible program (other than Adobe's), do I have to give him all profiles as well?

Sorry for all those questions, but the change is somewhat confusing and there is no explanation in read me files at all.
                • 5. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
                  Level 1
                  >This somehow implies that DNG Converter reads settings from installed Lightroom. I'm not sure that this is the case - DNG Converter seems to be completely independent product.

Yes, it does...for the camera model, if you have modified the Camera Raw Default in either Lightroom or Camera Raw then DNG Converter will use the user specified default. If there is no user set default, then of course will use the regular Camera Raw Defaultwhich in the case of 5.2 is now Adobe Standard. (I can't remember what version of DNG Converter started reading the CR prefs).

>If I give DNG file to someone, who uses DNG-compatible program (other than Adobe's), do I have to give him all profiles as well?

If you are using a "custom" profile other than Adobe Standard, the behavior is to embed that profile in the DNG so it is self describing. The only complicating factor is what version of Camera Raw/Lightroom the recipient is using. If they are using a version prior to Lightroom 2 or Camera Raw 4.5, then those older versions ignore the embedded profiles and will use the earlier simple profiles that have been used since DNG/ACR was introduced.

As for checking on updating the DNG Profiles in the future, DNG Converter, as it's rev'ed, will include any new profiles that come out and will update them for any already installed and add any new profiles available for a given camera. The odds of updating existing DNG Profiles is not largethat's what the 2 beta rounds was for, to shake them out. But it's possible. It's more likely that profiles for new cameras will be added.
                  • 6. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
                    MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                    X, no that's not specifiable. Your best bet at present is to do your suggested modification of the xmp.
                    • 7. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
                      Ed.Macke Level 3
                      Eric,

Can you provide any details on what .XMP that might be, what element to change, and what value to change it to?

Also, is there a way to look at a DNG and see what profile was used?
                      • 8. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
                        MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                        > Can you provide any details on what .XMP that might be,
                        > what element to change, and what value to change it to?

Adobe Standard

You want to change Adobe Standard in this example to something else.

> Also, is there a way to look at a DNG and see what profile
                        > was used?

If you are a software developer, you can use dng_validate (in the DNG SDK) with the -v option. Or just use the DNG SDk itself directly.

Otherwise, you can try making a DNG file read-only and making edits in Camera Raw. This will force the creation of sidecar files, which you can then examine with a text editor.
                        • 9. Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles
                          Level 1
                          > If you are a software developer, you can use dng_validate (in the DNG SDK) with the -v option. Or just use the DNG SDk itself directly.
                          >
                          > Otherwise, you can try making a DNG file read-only and making edits in Camera Raw. This will force the creation of sidecar files, which you can then examine with a text editor.

You can also use exiftool(see google) to extract the XMP metadata as needed.

-X