3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 6:35 PM by JimHess-8IPblY

This version of Lightroom....

khryssalis
      Could someone explain this message to me and maybe help me with my options?

I know what RAW and DNG files are (basically). I use CS3 and I am not planning on CS4. Just updated to LR 2.2. ACR version 4.6. When in LR and choosing to edit in Photoshop I get this message:

This version of Lightroom may require Photoshop Camera RAW plug-in version 5.2 for full compatibility............

Options Render using Lightroom/Open anyway/Cancel

I am sure you have seen this. How do I handle this and how will it affect my images?

I generally use an older camera (Canon 20D).

Thanks,
      kristin

PS. Sorry if this has been covered...no luck searching.
        • 1. Re: This version of Lightroom....
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          I think right now it is there partly to motivate you to purchase CS4. ACR 4.6 will read all of the modifications made by Lightroom 2.2 and ACR 5.2. Any adjustments made with the gradual filter or the local brushes cannot be modified in 4.6, but they are recognized and applied. This warning will probably be more significant as ACR continues to evolve. It is unlikely, in my opinion, that any new features in ACR or Lightroom will be able to be read by ACR 4.6.

The solution for now? Open anyway.
          • 2. Re: This version of Lightroom....
            khryssalis Level 1
            Jim,

Thank you for your reply and information. Does this mean that if I had ACR 5.2, I would be able to make adjustments to the work done with the above metioned filters and brushes? Cool.

Even so, I guess it would not be cost effective for me. I am satisfied being able to use Photoshop tools to fine tune.

Thank you,

kristin
            • 3. Re: This version of Lightroom....
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              Yes, ACR 5.2 does make those local adjustments. As I understand it, that is the major change that was made in version 5.2. But I don't know that for sure because I'm still working with Photoshop CS3.

But it seems to me that you are just duplicating your Lightroom adjustments at this point. I won't go into all workflow gymnastics I see in getting that file into ACR 5.2, but it isn't what I would consider to be a very effective way to do it. I just do my adjustments in Lightroom and then finish up in Photoshop CS3.