5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 9:05 AM by Manovi

Right steps to use DNG Profile Editor and ACR

What is the right sequence of steps to do to use properly DNG PE and ACR ?

Must be converted the RAW in DNG directly, without open the RAW in ACR ?

Must be opened the RAW file in ACR, reset the ACR values to zero and then convert the RAW in DNG format ?

Must be converted the RAW file in DNG and then reset the ACR values before apply the camera recipe created ?

thanks in advance,
      federico
        • 1. Re: Right steps to use DNG Profile Editor and ACR
          Manovi
          Federico

You can convert the RAW in DNG using ACR directly or the DNG converter. Gives the same result.

If You want to modify a profile embedded in the DNG file or create a new profile with a GM panel you can use PE directly. It uses it's setting and not ACR's. There is a menu switch in PE to use the ACR settings but is better not to use it. The most important thing is the starting profile selection in PE. That is the profile that will be tweaked using PE color wheel.

The profile (not the "recipe", which is a simple configuration setting that can be saved for reuse) must be created in PE to use the profile in ACR. The profile must be saved in the same path as the others and ACR loads it automatically in Camera Calibration dropdown listbox.

The default values of ACR are NOT all zeroed (brightness, contrast and blacks should remain at their values of 50, 25 and 5). Start from them using ANY profile created. Only AFTER you can modify them to suit your tastes.

Massimo
          • 2. Re: Right steps to use DNG Profile Editor and ACR
            Level 1
            thank you Massimo,

i have asked the right sequence because with my new D700 the differences are really poors.

i do this.

- i convert raw in dng
            - with a shot of GM panel i make the profiles.
            - i save the profile.
            - in acr i open a row file and i select the profile created.

the fact is that i cannot see any rilevant differences with the profiles. about nothing.
            when i make the profiles with my d200 i see many change in colors.
            now, with the d700, the profiles leaves colors about not altered.

ps: i make for each len at some ISO, differents profiles. is it a right think ?

Grazie Massimo,
            ho chiesto se esistema una sequenza corretta perchè i risultati che ottengo con i profili creati con la D700, sono praticamente nulli.

precedentemente con la d200 i cambiamenti erano molto evidenti quando selezionavo un profilo. adesso invece con la d700 praticamente non mi cambia niente.

ps: io creo un profilo per ogni lente e a diversi ISO. ècorretto questo ?
            • 3. Re: Right steps to use DNG Profile Editor and ACR
              Manovi Level 1
              Federico

You have to shot a GM panel at 6500K (sun at noon) using ONLY the lowest ISO setting available in Your camera to avoid noise (lens have no practical impact if are neutral) and create the reading at that temperature. If You want you can use a 40W clear tungsten light bulb to create another shot at 2850K (2750K is the bulb temp but can be the same) and in the same PE session create also the reading at 2850K temp. At that point You (with both images open and the readings created for two different temps) save the profile. The NEF (RAW) image temp will be interpolated between the two temps. The 2850K reading is useful only for some internal shots so You can initially skip it.

Anyway the color shift using the calibrated profile should be obvious. Expecially in saturated reds and purple. What is the nearest original Adobe profile that is so "equal" to the GM one you obtain?

I hope my english is easy to You. Tutto chiaro?

Massimo
              • 4. Re: Right steps to use DNG Profile Editor and ACR
                Level 1
                thank you Massimo,

the procedure is clear now.

"What is the nearest original Adobe profile that is so "equal" to the GM one you obtain?"

what i want to say is that when i open the file raw in ACR i see some colors. when i apply the profile generated by PE, i see about the sames colors. i notice that the colors are about the same without the profile (little differences i see in the darken tones but only in the ACR graphic). this with my D700. with the D200 the differences before to apply the profile and after are strong, visible.

Grazie Massimo,
                credo sia tutto chiaro adesso anche se mi lascia perplesso il risultato finale.

"What is the nearest original Adobe profile that is so "equal" to the GM one you obtain?"

quello che volevo dire è che con o senza profilo, praticamente l'immagine con la D700 varia di pochissimo (me ne accorgo solo leggendo il grafico in ACR). con la D200 invece, applicare un profilo ha un impatto molto evidente, le differenze sono marcate.

grazie

ps: your english is right. it is mine that does not work so well.
                • 5. Re: Right steps to use DNG Profile Editor and ACR
                  Manovi Level 1
                  Federico

What color space are You using in ACR? Using ProPhotoRGB should show more change in the histogram channels (mostly red and yellow).

If You start from a standard (i.e. ACR 4.4) profile and change to your generated PE profile, the difference should be quite visible. Less shift is visible if you change from Adobe Standard or some of the Nikon specific Picture Profiles (portrait, landscape etc.) but should be visible in brightness and tint anyway.

The D200 could have less "precise" Adobe profiles so the GM generated one shows more marked color shifts that D700 profile doesn't show. If the D700 custom profile generated in PE is correct and the panel has been shot at the right temperature, you should be confident that is the "best" profile to use for color compliance and low color error. But other profiles can satisfy you more, however. Choose the profile you like more.

Hope it helps. Ciao

Massimo