38 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 6:02 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG

I have downloaded the 5.2module and have used it to make conversions from 5DM2 raw files. Sometimes it works and sometimes it creates a 'DNG' labeled file that will not open at all. I have even started over and found that it will sometimes convert some, but not all of the files. What is up with this?
      I'm working on a PC in Windows XP
        • 1. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          >have downloaded the 5.2module

The DNG Converter is an independent, stand-alone application , not a "module".

Are you running it accordingly?
          • 2. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
            Level 1
            OM Gosh, that is the most helpful comment I've ever heard. Thanks for the profundity!!!!

Yes, I ran it accordingly. I've been using the Adobe DNG converting software to process my raw files for years. Only now, with the new Canon 5DMII, it doesn't seem to communicate adequately with the CR2 files to convert them on a consistant basis. I am not a software expert but I am not an idiot. If you have an answer to my question I would appreciate you help. If however, you feel the need to be nitpicky about language, please refrain from 'helping'. I'm already frustrated enough as this is very definately disturbing my workflow. I don't need some 'helpful' person with a vocabulary discrepancy adding to the frustration.
            • 3. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
              Greg Barnett Level 2
              Have you tried the 5.3 release candidate? I believe that there were some 5DMII specific tweaks. May or may not be related to the issues you're experiencing.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.3
              • 4. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                Danieq,

Next time try writing what you mean.

[EDIT: Just FYI, there are plenty of users who just stick the DNG Converter somewhere in the Photoshop folder and expect it to work magically. I'm no mind reader or clairvoyant to draw any other conclusion from your original post.]
                • 5. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                  Level 1
                  Thanks Greg,
                  I had not yet stumbled upon the 5.3 update as yet. I will check that out and hope it works correctly.

As for Ramon, you may not be a clairvoyant, but you could consider trying to understand what people are asking rather than attempting to demean them. What you are, is unkind, rude, and not someone who should be attempting to 'answer' questions since you seem incapable of doing it with humility. As an aside, I did try 'writing' what I meant. Made perfect sense to me. However, as you may know, describing software related problems completely and clearly can be a challenge. And why do you assume that I am one of the 'plenty of users' you describe. There are real problems with newly released software everyday. Why do you not consider that my problem could be one of them?
                  • 6. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                    Level 1
                    Have I mentioned that I am tired of forum stalkers who use the boards to browbeat everyone they come across who has a question which these board stalkers deem to be stupid? Sorry for the rant but I imagine these people are more civil in person but use forums where they cannot be truly known to be abusive.
                    • 7. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                      Level 1
                      Ah, Greg, the 5.3 converter worked flawlessly. Thanks so much!
                      • 8. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                        I'm tired of morons, period.
                        • 9. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                          Panoholic Level 2
                          > sometimes it creates a 'DNG' labeled file that will not open at all

This description of the problem is like when you phone the car technician and explain him, that you "can't start your car" (in this detail).

If you can't make a pre-diagnosis (you are not expected to), then you should post a sample of such DNG.
                          • 10. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                            Greg Barnett Level 2
                            danieq-

Glad it worked, just remember that this is a "release candidate." Keep an eye out for the final version, there's always a chance that additional fixes could be included.

Greg
                            • 11. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                              Level 1
                              G sch

I appreciate your statement, but hardly think it is necessary for a responder to offer up the sort of response I was given.

Thanks Greg,
                              Yes, I did notice it is a beta and will need to be finalized as an application.
                              • 12. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                Level 1
                                G sch, posting a sample DNG file might be useful except that the file would be extremely large. Where would one be expected to post such a file? We're talking a 30MG file. As I described in my original post, the CR2 file was processed through the Adobe DNG converter, not within the CS3 software. The resulting file was a file named xxxx.dng. The file would not open. When I right clicked on the file, there was no 'open in Camera Raw' option as expected. I posted a brief explanation in the hopes that someone else might have experienced a similar problem. Why is it necessary to ask a question with every possible detail included when the red light might go off for someone who's experienced this very thing? Not sure there is any more precise way to describe this occurence. As it turns out, it was related to a flaw/anomaly in the software which Adobe DNG 5.3 addressed.

Probably just a man thing. I'm thankful for folks like Greg who are willing to offer useful information without pretense.
                                • 13. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                  Panoholic Level 2
                                  > posting a sample DNG file might be useful except that the file would be extremely large. Where would one be expected to post such a file?

1. I did realize, that your problem had been solved already. My post related to future issues.

2. "Posting" can occur by uploading the file on your site if you have one, or by yousendit.com, rapidshare or alike (yousendit is still the best).

3. There are always chances, that your problem is already well-known. In such cases the plain description of your pain may be sufficient. In other cases an actual analysis may be required.

The resulting file is the best description. It is not realistic to expect, that customers make a pre-analysis, but for example in the present case following information could have been useful:

- original raw file size,
                                  - specifically with the 5D2 (and a few other Canon models): raw, sRaw1 or sRaw2,
                                  - the size of the incorrect DNG,
                                  - trying to display the preview with any program you have, like FastStone (those programs have no idea of native raw or DNG, but they read the file structure),
                                  - the result of dng_validate,

and the very minimum: to describe a bit better, what happens if you want to process that file with ACR or LR (have not you seen any error message? that too is valuable information).
                                  • 14. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                    Level 1
                                    G sch, in the case that the information I provided was inadequate to determine the problem, the responder could have asked politely for more information. This has usually been my experience when asking questions. In this case, I felt that Ramon responded in a way that demonstrated disdain for anyone with less knowledge than he deems himself to have. This seems unprofessional, if indeed he is employed by Adobe. If he is simply a forum member, it is still unkind and generally unwelcoming.
                                    • 15. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                      danieq,

I think you are taking this just a little too personal. If you stick around the forum very long you will discover that Ramon has a lot of good knowledge to share, but he isn't the most diplomatic and doesn't have a lot of patience for incomplete information. Don't worry about it. Many of us have taken a beating at the hand of Ramon at one time or another
                                      • 16. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                        Level 1
                                        Thanks for the thoughts Jim. I suppose I tend to be the sort to confront those who need to be confronted. I am not taking it personally, but it seems useful to me to not enable bullies to go bullying without being called on it.

I'm content to drop it and I truly am thankful to the kind sorts that are generally represented on forums such as this one. I have no doubt that Ramon has a great deal of knowledge to share, I would simply like to see him share it in a more personable fashion. If, in fact it his habit to lack diplomacy, perhaps he should not join in on the discussion. Mother always said that 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.' Very wise, that Mother.
                                        • 17. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                          We're all volunteers here, danieq. If you're not satisfied with a given response, you're entitled to your money back. $0.00

I don't feel "confronted" by you or anybody else. I don't suffer fools lightly, but I really don't care what you do with the advice you receive.

Get a life.
                                          • 18. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                            Yammer Level 4
                                            Can we have less name-calling, please?
                                            • 19. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                              You're just adding fuel to the fire, Nuttal. The reason I get to enjoy my old age is that I've always minded my own business.
                                              • 20. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                Yammer Level 4
                                                It's a PUBLIC forum, Ramón.
                                                • 21. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                  Precisely. You don't get to dictate who posts or how, Nuttal, and neither do I. You're just a sanctimonious busybody, seemingly incapable of minding your business.
                                                  • 22. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                    pfigen Level 1
                                                    Isn't it interesting that wherever Ramon happens to be, he brings along his holier than thou attitude. There are plenty of people on the Adobe boards that have great information and are able to help others without the constant insults and name calling that always come from Ramon. For some reason, Ramon is deeply offended when someone disagrees with him or actually challenges his all knowing persona and his only response is petty name calling. When he didn't agree with something I said last year, he let loose a string of vitriol that had no place in these or any other forums, and all because he couldn't admit he might be wrong. He's a sad unhappy old man who apparently has nothing better to do with his time than berate those who don't agree with him. It's easy sometimes to say just ignore him, but sometimes you have to set the record straight. It's also nice to know I've been "plonked" by him and he'll only see this as a blank message. If enough people piss him off, he'll only have blank messages to read.
                                                    • 23. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                      Level 1
                                                      It is nice to see that I was not simply over-reacting, that other's have experienced a certain Venom. Thanks for being willing to share your point of view. Perhaps if enough people stand up for the sake of politeness on the boards, something will change. To be honest, I rarely use this board, except as a last resort. It's left a bad taste in my mouth and in both cases, my 'helpful' responder has been Ramon. It is nice to know that this board is represented by others who desire to respond with care and consideration. Perhaps I too can get 'plonked' and will no longer need to suffer Ramon's 'help' when I visit this very useful board.

And for the record Ramon, you are doing anything but minding your own business. This would imply staying out of the fray, however, you have evidenced a desire to put yourself up as the final authority on all things Photoshop. You seem to need to say 'the last word'. I am sorry that you are such an angry man. Perhaps you could look into why that is and recieve some healing.
                                                      • 24. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                        Your posts speak for themselves, danieq, whoever you are.
                                                        • 25. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                          Level 1
                                                          In that case, why are you continuing to respond?
                                                          • 26. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                            Here's my post #1:

Ramón G Castañeda - 5:34pm Jan 28, 09 PST (#1 of 25)

> have downloaded the 5.2module

The DNG Converter is an independent, stand-alone application, not a "module".

Post Reply | Bookmark back to top

Here's your reply in #2:

danieq - 8:43pm Jan 28, 09 PST (#2 of 25)

OM Gosh, that is the most helpful comment I've ever heard. Thanks for the profundity!!!!

Yes, I ran it accordingly. I've been using the Adobe DNG converting software to process my raw files for years. Only now, with the new Canon 5DMII, it doesn't seem to communicate adequately with the CR2 files to convert them on a consistant basis. I am not a software expert but I am not an idiot. If you have an answer to my question I would appreciate you help. If however, you feel the need to be nitpicky about language, please refrain from 'helping'. I'm already frustrated enough as this is very definately disturbing my workflow. I don't need some 'helpful' person with a vocabulary discrepancy adding to the frustration.
                                                            Post Reply | Bookmark

A simple thank you or sorry would have sufficed.
                                                            • 27. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                                              There it goes again...

Ramón, please, please use the wiseness that usually comes with age, and think twice before you post, re-read your posts, especially the tone, and the underlying message they might convey.
                                                              Did you ask yourself how it comes that most other users of this online community do not run into so many problems when interacting with others?

Most of your posts come out as confrontational, and the overall impression that visitors have of this place has been described several times with the same term. QED?

Please do not take this post as an attack, as it is a plea for peace, and for the overall spirit of this whole community.

Thanks for your understanding, and take care!
                                                              • 28. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                WTF is "confrontantional" about #1 that woulh have deserved #2, Pierre?

Ramón G Castañeda - 5:34pm Jan 28, 09 PST (#1 of 25)

> have downloaded the 5.2module

The DNG Converter is an independent, stand-alone application, not a "module".

Post Reply | Bookmark back to top
                                                                • 29. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                  Oh, and there are numerous threads where others have confrontational and outright insulting and slanderous exchanges without my participating in those threads at all . Just check the Photoshop Macintosh forum, where I spend most of my time in these forums.

So don't give me your hypocritical advice, Pierre.

Aside from that, there are still hundreds of posts in these forums thanking me personally and I regularly receive private emails from grateful users. I'm perfectly satisfied with this record, otherwise I would have stopped posting a long time ago.

Obviously, having had in the neighborhood of thirty-two-thousand (32,000) posts on these forums over the years, I am more than likely to run into ungrateful users like the OP, as well as all other kinds of nuts. The law of averages demands it.

I know you have a personal and long-running gripe against me, and I have addressed you in very harsh terms in the past; but don't project your personal feelings against me indiscriminately. So, we don't like each other, big deal!
                                                                  • 30. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    For what should I have been grateful Ramon. Your correction of my use of terms. Or your assumtion that I wasn't running the software accordingly?

Have you ever considered, since apparently this is not the first time that you've been misunderstood to be unkind, that perhaps your posts do come across to others as unkind?

For example, the use of WTF in your last post seems rather language intense. Whether the spelling of the word is there or not, the spirit of the word is screaming loud and clear.

Not only this, but you have personally labeled me as a moron, a waste of time, and indirectly, inept. Not my responses mind you, you labeled me personally with these titles.

My husband told me not to engage in these types of discussions with people on boards as it is likely to go nowhere. I am sure he is right, but I find myself compelled to try to allow the two of us to understand one another.

I can tell you that in probably 10000 posts online, I have NEVER had an experience like this one. Never. If you have had these types of run ins repeatedly, perhaps you are coming across in a way that is unpleasant. I realize that it's not fun to look at our own flaws, but it can be such a benefit to recognize our own need to change and then take the necessary action.

I would assume that it is not your desire to be off-putting. If so, a second look at the way you communicate in cyberspace would be helpful. In addition, you mention other threads where people are duking it out online and seem to make the connection that this makes it okay for you to have a similar attitude. Two wrongs do not make a right.

I am sure that hundreds of posters have in fact thanked you. But how many times have similar incidents to ours happened?
                                                                    • 31. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                      Danieq,
                                                                      >For what should I have been grateful Ramon.

For my attempt to find out what you were doing and what you meant.

My post #1 was beyond reproach. Your response in #2 was unwarranted, reprehensible and shameful. You are a very insecure and very little person.

After that response, I honestly didn't give a darn about you or your opinion. Yes, I think you are all of those things I said, and I couldn't care less about what you think of me.
                                                                      • 32. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                        > But how many times have similar incidents to ours happened?

I already addressed that in #29:

Obviously, having had in the neighborhood of thirty-two-thousand (32,000) posts on these forums over the years, I am more than likely to run into ungrateful users like the OP, as well as all other kinds of nuts. The law of averages demands it. [Emphasis added]
                                                                        • 33. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                          Whether you can get it through your head or not, I am more than satisfied with my record, which I've never claimed to be perfect.

>you mention other threads where people are duking it out online and seem to make the connection that this makes it okay for you to have a similar attitude. Two wrongs do not make a right.

You're either a very poor reader or not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I brought that subject up in response to Pierre's pathetic, lame attempt to make it sound like only I run into ingrates and nuts. Read his post again.
                                                                          • 34. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            Have it your way. I'm done. May God bless you despite yourself.
                                                                            • 35. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                              pfigen Level 1
                                                                              When the problem is that Ramon is satisfied with himself and his online behavior, it's obvious that nothing will ever convince him otherwise. His biggest problem is his inability to see himself as so many others do. The self proclaimed indignation is almost too much to believe, and yet how many times has he roared that "no one will tell him what he can do".

The insults and name calling persist unabated. Is it any wonder so many people hate the Adobe boards? Too bad there aren't any moderators with real balls around here.
                                                                              • 36. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                                                                Ramón,
                                                                                What prompted my post was not your post number one, but rather those unwarranted phrases: "moron" "Get a life" "I don't suffer fools lightly, but I really don't care what you do with the advice you receive." "You're just a sanctimonious busybody, seemingly incapable of minding your business." "You're either a very poor reader or not the sharpest knife in the drawer" "You are a very insecure and very little person." "hypocritical". This in a single discussion.

Making less flattering seaches than "thank you" + "Ramón" might be enlightening...

Again, yes, we had run-ins in the past. But rest assured that I have nothing against you, but I do have some gripes about the attitude, or the tone of some of your posts that often tarnish your many helpful others.

And please pay attention when you quote others: I never said that you only run into ingrates and nuts. Read my post again. I said that "most other users of this online community do not run into so many problems when interacting with others".

I will bow out, as I my point is not to enter in a conflict.

Again, do not take this post as an attack, it is a helping hand. Your helpful posts are needed here! The tone of the others, this place would be so much better without. Everybody is entitled to think what they want about others, and they can do it without stating it in the forum, where they know it will inevitably degenerate.

Thank you.
                                                                                • 37. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                                  Pierre,
                                                                                  >What prompted my post was not your post number one, but rather those unwarranted phrases

All those unwarranted phrases (in your view) came after the OP jumped me in #2 for no good reason whatsoever.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: 5D MarkII files do not convert correctly to DNG
                                                                                    To the OP, "danieq":

Your underhanded comment on #34 says it all about youand all other similarly sanctimonious individuals.