4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 9:29 AM by Selby Shanly

DNG Profiles and Camera Differences

Selby Shanly Level 1
      The primary stated reason for performing a calibration before the DPE was to account for differences between units of the same camera. With the new Adobe Standard profiles, am I correct in saying that it is no longer possible to customize the Adobe Standard profile for a specific camera, since the ACR 4.4 version is always used by DPE as the starting point for the Chart operation?

I find that there is a marked difference between ACR 4.4 and Adobe Standard, with ACR 4.4 being much more saturated - it's not subtle - at least for my camera (Canon XSi/450D).

Thanks,

Selby
        • 1. Re: DNG Profiles and Camera Differences
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          No, that is incorrect. You can certainly customize an Adobe Standard profile for your camera. Simply open a DNG from your camera in the DNG Profile Editor, set Adobe Standard as your Base Profile, and start editing (i.e., create color control points, make edits, etc.). Save the changes as a new profile and you're done. (Also save the recipe if you want to go back and tweak your edits later.)
          • 2. Re: DNG Profiles and Camera Differences
            Selby Shanly Level 1
            Eric - thanks for the response. I was afraid that would be the answer! :-)

Seems I'm likely asking for an enhancement based on the following:

As I understand it, the ACR 4.4 profiles were all based on processing color checker (or other target) shots made in the lab. Then Adobe Standard profiles were built using ACR 4.4 profiles as the starting point, but applying some adjustments to deal with issues raised by users. Due to the large number of cameras supported, I am guessing that this was applied programmatically - that each camera was not reprofiled?

So it appears that what I'm asking for is the ability to use the Chart facility in the DNG Profile Editor to use my image(s) of a Color Checker as the starting point, and then have the same changes applied that were used to build Adobe Standard. I gather that this is not possible at present.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the internal workings of the profiles which leads me to the following question: is this reasonable and/or practical?

BTW, I do find that Adobe Standard works better for me than either ACR 4.4 or anything I can generate with Chart. However, the insistence by those with much more experience than myself that the differences between instances of the same camera model are visible, led me to ask the question.

Since Adobe Standard is a big improvement over ACR 4.4, I'd like to pick up those changes since I doubt I could do anywhere near as good a job trying to make the changes "manually", unless of course, it is possible to describe the adjustments needed to use the DNG Profile Editor to accomplish this (other than by eyeballing it).

Thanks,

Selby
            • 3. Re: DNG Profiles and Camera Differences
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
              Hi Selby, correct, what you are asking for is not possible at the current time with the DNG Profile Editor. My practical suggestion is to evaluate the current Adobe Standard profile on some of your familiar images and explicitly write down (or just list) what you don't like about it. Then open up the DNG PE, use Adobe Standard as your Base Profile, and make the changes that address your perceived shortcomings. For example, if reds are a little too magenta for your taste, set a control point and push it a bit towards orange. (Or if you want to make broader edits, use the Color Matrix tab.) This allows you to systematically pin down "problem colors."

If your goal is simply to "optimize the profile for your camera" running a hypothetical version of the DNG PE (with your suggested changes) would certainly produce one profile, but not necessarily good results. That is, they may not be pleasing to you. Instead, following the suggestions in the preceding paragraph is the way to go for dealing with problem colors (i.e., shortcomings of the profile that don't appeal to you).
              • 4. Re: DNG Profiles and Camera Differences
                Selby Shanly Level 1
                Eric - thanks for the suggestions.

I'm actually quite pleased with Adobe Standard. I very much doubt I can do any better manually, but I'll give it a try.

Selby