24 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2008 12:12 PM by (Axel_Rietschin)

WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????

Level 1
      C'mon Adobe, this is really taking a long, long time to do this.
        • 1. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
          Thomas Knoll Level 2
          It is still a work in progress. It has not been forgotten.
          • 2. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
            Level 1
            The same is true for our codec.

http://www.ardfry.com/dng-codec
            • 3. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
              minivini Level 1
              Wow, just saw this. TK, I understand this is a work in progress - BUT, and I want to initially stress that NO OFFENSE is intended to David or the company in his link, but users of Adobe software shouldn't have to rely on and pay 3rd party developers for such a basic tool to use a format that Adobe is endorsing as the industry standard!

I'm sitting here now, at 12:15am est, trying to go back and reorganize and separate NEFs, JPGs, and DNGs into different sets so I can more safely archive my NEFs and start using the more efficient DNG workflow - and I can't view DNGs on my computer without importing them into LightRoom! That's a little ridiculous after this much time has passed (LR user since the final beta)!

At least it hasn't been that long since I switched from film. How about letting us know when we can expect a DNG plugin for Windows!? It would certainly make our lives easier!!
              • 4. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                Level 1
                I agree, if Adobe truly wants DNG as the standard they should move this a <br />little quicker.<br /><br />Heck, it even works in Leopard.<br /><br /><br /><br /><Vince_Pack@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c051c73.2@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Wow, just saw this. TK, I understand this is a work in progress - BUT, and <br />> I want to initially stress that NO OFFENSE is intended to David or the <br />> company in his link, but users of Adobe software shouldn't have to rely on <br />> and pay 3rd party developers for such a basic tool to use a format that <br />> Adobe is endorsing as the industry standard!<br />><br />> I'm sitting here now, at 12:15am est, trying to go back and reorganize and <br />> separate NEFs, JPGs, and DNGs into different sets so I can more safely <br />> archive my NEFs and start using the more efficient DNG workflow - and I <br />> can't view DNGs on my computer without importing them into LightRoom! <br />> That's a little ridiculous after this much time has passed (LR user since <br />> the final beta)!<br />><br />> At least it hasn't been that long since I switched from film. How about <br />> letting us know when we can expect a DNG plugin for Windows!? It would <br />> certainly make our lives easier!!
                • 5. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                  Level 1
                  > Heck, it even works in Leopard.
                  > Users of Adobe software shouldn't have to rely on and pay 3rd party developers for such a basic tool to use a format that Adobe is endorsing as the industry standard!

To speak to both of these, I believe Apple added support for DNG to Leopard. Last time I checked, Apple wasn't part of Adobe.

If DNG is going to have any credibility as an independent standard, then the existence of third parties, such as Ardfry and Apple, that develop to the standard is necessary. If all support for all platforms comes from Adobe, then that lessens the argument that it's an independent standard.

I wish we sold $1000 camera bodies or $1000 software packages so we could give you a "free" codec. We don't, so charging our very modest fee for the software is the only way we can recover the development costs.

Ardfry will always add value in some way, such as our soon to be released hand-coded SSE assembly improvements, and competition is inevitable. Nothing is preventing Adobe, or some other open source project even, from creating a free codec. Therefore you don't have to rely on us for support. Nobody is forcing you to to purchase our product. We make a trial available for free so that people can decide if it is worth purchasing. Already many people have decided that it is.
                  • 6. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                    minivini Level 1
                    David, again, as stated, no offense intended. I believe firmly in the need for additional 3rd party support and development - I just think it's absurd that a company, such as Adobe, with all the coders and r/d folks in their employ, can't or won't release a viewing codec for a format they encourage us to use.

Maybe it's all a misconception. When I click on an image preview and Windows Viewer opens, I get a message stating that an update is available. The link brings me to Adobe. The Adobe site says the codec is not yet available - all of which more than suggests they are planning to release one.

Adobe, if you aren't planning to release one, please just tell us. It's ok, and 3rd party developers, like Ardfry, can start collecting more revenue!

We've had Vista for going on a year. How long is it going to take?
                    • 7. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                      Level 1
                      > I just think it's absurd that a company, such as Adobe, with all the coders and r/d folks in their employ, can't or won't release a viewing codec for a format they encourage us to use.

While Adobe is indeed a large company, the number of people specifically involved in Camera Raw & DNG coding is very small. If you have extensive coding experience as well as background in raw file formats and plug-in development, you might want to apply because Adobe is always looking for good people.

The DNG codec will take a back seat to Camera Raw and DNG Converter development and Camera Raw 4.3 had to add support for a large number of new cameras. I doubt the owners of those new cameras would like to be told it'll be delayed while the engineers work on the DNG codec...

The DNG codec _IS_ being worked on...but I have no knowledge as to when it will be released. I guess we'll find out, when it is released.
                      • 8. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                        Perhaps Microsoft will get there first; this clearly is not a priority to Adobe. Nine months is long enough to wait, I think.
                        Kudos to Ardfry, for stepping up and addressing the deficit. If their codec runs stably over the trial period, I'd be happy to fork over my hard-earned.
                        • 9. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                          Microsoft has a DNG codec, some developpers created one for the Photosynth project...
                          • 10. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                            Arkayem Level 1
                            How can we get the Microsoft DNG codec?
                            • 11. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                              I've done a search of Microsft site and can't find a dng codec. Anyone else have any luck?
                              • 12. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                ArrrBee Level 1
                                If you do a search here you should find some information on it. I didn't
                                keep the link because I felt the cost was an outrage. I just googled, here
                                it is:

http://www.ardfry.com/dng-codec/

Robert
                                • 13. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                  Sorry I should have written: "Microsoft (the Photosynth team) has developped a DNG codec, that used internally for the project.
                                  • 14. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                    Level 1
                                    I searched the Microsoft site and couldn't find one. How were you able to get it?
                                    • 15. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                      It is not available for the public, it is an INTERNAL tool.
                                      Barry Pearson read/heard about it, I think in the old photosynth demo.

That said, I found this: http://k7vi.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5AF664BF5DA1FDBB!456.entry but it might only be about eXpression Media
                                      • 16. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                        As much as I enjoy Adobe products and advocate their use to friends and fellow photographers, I still have no answer as to why they haven't released a DNG codec for Windows Vista. I have since reverted to working with CR2 files as part of my workflow as I have grown tired of waiting for Adobe to implement this codec. I hope Adobe release a codec soon!
                                        • 17. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                          Level 1
                                          I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

There is a free download from Arcsoft, the link is below.

www.arcsoft.com/products/rawviewer

I have had no problems with and can visually see in the Windows explorer, JPG, NEF, DNG, ORF, TIF.

It does not display an NEF files from the Nikon Scanner or a file that is converted fron Nikon Scanner to NEF to DNG.

Also does not display PSD files

It will display a Nikon Scanned file saved as a TIF file.
                                          • 18. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                            Nikon scans are not raw files, despite the stupid use by Nikon of the NEF extension. They are TIFF files.
                                            • 19. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                              Level 1
                                              David,

For what it's worth, I downloaded the trial version of your DNG codec today and tried to use it to write geotag info to some DNG files using Microsoft's newly released Pro Photo Tools application. I got an error when attempting to save the updated metadata information. The DNG files were converted from CR2 files using Lightroom 2.0 Beta.

Any guidance?

Matthew Belk
                                              • 20. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                                Level 1
                                                Hi, Matthew.

We have not implmemented writing metadata for a number of reasons, but we will be adding this to the codec with it turned off by default. Unfortunately, Nikon got it wrong on their first try, so many people don't trust Vista (even though it was Nikon's fault).

To date, the number of people writing hoping that we will not touch their metadata has greatly outnumbered the number of people who ask for the ability to update their metadata. Some folks write in asking if it's only read-only access to metadata before they install, otherwise they don't want to even install it.

It's unfortunate that more interoperability testing wasn't done by Nikon, but in time I'm sure people will come to trust Vista and WIC codecs more.
                                                • 21. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                                  Christer Grimsaeth
                                                  Yes! It's finally arrived: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b53ad3
                                                  • 22. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                                    Level 1
                                                    On Tue, 13 May 2008 01:42:32 -0700, Christer_Grimsæth@adobeforums.com
                                                    wrote:

>Yes! It's finally arrived:

Does it work with WIC on XP, too?

--
                                                    Dierk
                                                    [DH² Publishing]
                                                    www.DH2Publishing.info
                                                    Writing and Imaging
                                                    • 23. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                                      Not for the moment.
                                                      • 24. Re: WIC Codec for Vista - Any news?????
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Well, the plug-in actually works just fine on XP. The installer refuses to work but if you copy the DNGCodec.dll from a Vista install and register it manually it will work, at least this is what I just found. I don't know why Adobe choose not to let it install on XP, they may have a reason.