6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2008 7:47 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?

"There was an error parsing your file?" That's the message I get when I try to convert my NEF file with DNG 3.7 for my photoshop CS2. I'm on an I-Mac and would love to start working on these photos. What do I do?
      The file will not even be high-lighted when I search for it and I can not click on it.If I put it in a file and try to convert it I get the messeage. And the instruction links people send me I can never get to come through.
      Help!
        • 1. Re: DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?
          Thomas Knoll Level 2
          What camera model is your NEF for? (NEF files are not equal--basically every single camera model has it own file format that just happens to end with .NEF)

I strongly suggest that you update your version of the DNG Converter. The current version is 4.3.1.

P.S. The DNG Converter converts folder of files. Files will NEVER highlight, only folders.
          • 2. Re: DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?
            Panoholic Level 2
            I wonder if and when someone at Adobe will come to the revolutionary idea of issuing a proper message instead of "parsing error". It certainly would save a lot of effort not only on the customers' side but here as well.
            • 3. Re: DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
              G Sch, like a checklist?
              Linking to the relevant page on the adobe website, (the problem being that it might not exist whn the converter is being made) listing the compatible cameras, and a link to the DNG page, that will in turn link to the latest version available...
              • 4. Re: DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?
                Panoholic Level 2
                I would display a bit more:

1. a text explaining, that this version of the program can not process this file,

2. the version of the own program,

3. the name and model of the camera, if that can be identified from the file. Yes, I am serious, this is nothing trivial; for example the camera maker is Olympus Corporation in some images, while Olympus Imaging in others. The Digital Rebels have different names depending on the region they are intended to be sold in,

4. a URL to a page, which lists the program versions and the supported cameras *with precise naming*, as well as the links to the download pages.

In case of corruptedly looking files a different message should appear.
                • 5. Re: DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?
                  Level 1
                  That's all fine and good but I have photoshopCS2. The DNG link says that for my camera, the Nikon D40x, I should download the DNG version 3.7 to be compatible with the CS2. So why would I now want to update to 4.3.1 when my camera is listed in the 3.7?
                  • 6. Re: DNG 3.7 can not parse my photo?
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                    The version numbers of ACR and the DNG converter are only related in that they support the same list of cameras. But a DNG file created by ANY version of the DNG converter can be opened in ANY (yes, any) version of ACR from version 2.4 onward. That is why you don't have to match the DNG converter version number with your version of ACR. You always want to use the latest version of the DNG converter, regardless of which version of ACR you are using. The latest version of the DNG converter will support the most cameras, and will often have other undocumented changes/improvements. And the DNG files it creates can be opened by any version of ACR that supports the DNG format.