15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2009 2:08 PM by (Rick_Amberson)

Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge

For the past 2 years I have been happily using the Adobe DNG (stand-alone) software to convert the NEF files from my D200. I routinely do this at "ingestion" as recommended in an article by Bruce Fraser. I have never encountered a single problem with this procedure. Recently I made a small change to my routine: In Adobe Bridge I chose File>Get Images From Camera. I specified the file type as DNG. After the transfer was completed a notice appeared to inform me that conversion to DNG had failed in xx images. This generally amounted to about 10% of the files in the folder, and in an apparently random manner. These files were copied over to my hard drive, but remained as NEF files.

Can anyone tell me why this may be happening? Is there a cure, or should I simply go back to my original method?

Thanks/Mike
        • 1. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
          Hi Mike
          I, too have recently experienced the same problem, although after using Bridge to Get Images From Camera in CS3 uneventfully for some months. Now Bridge is telling me that the DNG converter is either corrupt or missing.... although I can access and utilise it independently of Bridge. Has anyone any ideas of how I can link Bridge and DNG converter again??

Thanks! /Jenny
          • 2. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
            Level 1
            Jenny

My research reveals that using Bridge>Get Images From Camera (and convert to DNG) uses software built into Bridge and does not use nor require that the stand-alone DNG converter be installed. So it's not a failure of Bridge to link to the converter.

As good a program as Bridge is, it still is plagued with several small but irritating bugs. In this case, it is easy to just use the stand-alone DNG converter software and not struggle with the problem.

The fact that my message has been on this board for 3 days (and you are the only one to post a response) certainly indicates that Adobe is not too interested in this problem.
            • 3. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              M Blume,

Since the 2.1,x update, Bridge
              b DOES
              require and use the stand-alone DNG Converter, for which it looks in the Adobe-prescribed default install location. In the case of the Mac, that would be in the root Applications folder.

You are right, it used to be that Bridge had the built-in engine, but as of the update, they delegated that task entirely to the DNG Converter.
              • 4. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                Level 1
                Ramon,

Thanks for your reply and the information. The stand-alone dng converter is installed on my computer, but certainly not in the Adobe-prescribed default location. (Can you tell me where it belongs on a PC system running XT-home?) Presently it is not even on the same disc as the Adobe applications. Which makes it all the more puzzling why using Bridge to get images from camera results in converting most, but not all of the images to dng. I am running Bridge 2.1.1.9

What I find even more curious is that the coders of the software were thoughtful enough to present one with an information screen which appears after the transfer and tells you how many images failed to convert to dng. Suggesting that they anticipated this type of error but providing no explanation of why it occurs.

Thanks/Mike
                • 5. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                  >(Can you tell me where it belongs on a PC system running XT-home?)

Unfortunately, I cannot. :/
                  • 6. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                    I have Windows XP Home. It doesn't seem to matter where I put the DNG converter. It might be different on a PC, but I don't think the Bridge download feature relies on the standalone DNG converter.
                    • 7. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                      At least on a Mac, it certainly does now.

You could test by temporarily deleting the DNG Converter on your PC. :)
                      • 8. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                        Ramon,

I just did what you requested. I removed the DNG converter and then used the Bridge downloader to download and convert a raw file, and everything worked as expected.

I don't know how it works on the Mac, but on the PC I can put the DNG converter program anywhere, any drive, any folder, whatever, and it works independently. And the Bridge downloader works regardless of whether or not I have the stand-alone DNG converter. And the Bridge downloader also works regardless of where I have the DNG converter placed.
                        • 9. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                          Jim,

Thanks for testing. Perhaps my memory fails as to what the change confirmed recently by either Jeff Schewe or Thomas Knoll was: on the Mac the DNG Converter was either required earlier and it isn't now, or the other way around.

My short-term memory is shot. If the change had occurred much earlier, I would remember which way it went. :)
                          • 10. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                            I "think" it is the other way around. I couldn't imagine that the program would be so different on the two platforms. One thing you have cautioned Mac users to do is to be sure to drop a folder onto the DNG converter icon because individual images will not work. That seems curious to me because on my PC I can either drop a folder or individual images and the converter works just fine. Anyway, your question aroused my curiosity so I did some experimenting last night.
                            • 11. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                              Jim,
                              >One thing you have cautioned Mac users to do is to be sure to drop a folder onto the DNG converter icon because individual images will not work.

Nope. I would never say any such thing.

I have pointed out that the DNG Converter does NOT work on individual images through its Select Folder button, only on folders.

I never drag anything onto any application ever. It's just not my way of working. My desktop is a solid neutral gray devoid of any icons on it. Nothing ever lands on my desktop. So I never think along those lines.

http://files.myopera.com/cperaloca/albums/92592/3200x1200desktop.jpg
                              Scroll horizontally too very wide screen shot of desktop across both monitors.
                              • 12. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                                I spoke with tech support about DNG conversion failures using Bridge CS3 a little while back. Tech support informed me that Bridge has its own converter, separate from DNG, and stated the failures were due to resource issues.

I reduced memory consumption of database services I have running, replaced my old 64MB graphics card with a faster 512MB card, and in Bridge preferences turned off the startup scripts I did not need. This has reduced my conversion failure rate from 10% to less than 1%.
                                A little more adjustment should all but eliminate conversion failures.

When a conversion fails, I just use the DNG converter.
                                • 13. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                                  Resource Issues? Please elaborate. Is there something to adjust in Bridge Preferences? I too am getting more and more errors using Bridge to Get Images From Camera in CS3 when converting to DNG. This is getting extremely annoying!
                                  • 14. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                                    My issue is similar, but not a partial failure. The option to check convert to DNG (in the downloader from camera) is no longer available (it's grayed out). I've used this system for months, always downloading and converting to DNG simultaneously. No I can't select it anymore. Any ideas how to 'turn on' the check box so I can select the option?
                                    David
                                    • 15. Re: Sporadic failure of DNG conversion using Bridge
                                      I have the same issue as David Larsen has. Any ideas to correct this??

Rick