4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2008 10:33 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

DNG Converter stopped working

Level 1
      I use Photoshop Elements 4.0, running XP SP2. In March I downloaded the Adobe DNG Converter for my Elements version which was 3.6.0.147 and the Camera Raw version 3.2.0.24. For two or three Canon Camera Raw CR2 conversions to DNG everything was fine. Now I have lots of downloaded Raw files than are resisting conversion.

As before I open Adobe DNG Converter, supply the file folder to be processed, supply the destination folder, set the file name convention and hit the execute command. Now a dialog box pops up saying I did not select the folder to process nor the destination - but I did.

After trying for a while I uninstalled the DNG program per instructions and downloaded and reinstalled the DNG and Camera Raw programs but without any change in my results.

Help would be most appreciated.
        • 1. Re: DNG Converter stopped working
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          I'm not quite sure about what's going on, but it is obvious that you have a misunderstanding about the DNG converter. It is not necessary to match the version of the DNG converter like it is necessary to match Camera Raw. You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter to create DNG files that will work with your version of Camera Raw.
          • 2. Re: DNG Converter stopped working
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            William,
            >I downloaded the Adobe DNG Converter for my Elements version which was

The Adobe DNG Converter is a stand-alone application that is in no way, shape or form tied to your version of Elements.

Therefore you should always be running the most recent version of The Adobe DNG Converter. At this time, that would be DNG Converter 4.4.1.

Adobe Camera Raw, on the other hand, is NOT a " program" but a Plug-In. You do need a certain version of ACR for your particular version of the Application that is going to be hosting Camera Raw ( Elements 4.x in your case).

But the version of ACR you have has absolutely nothing to do with the DNG Converter. You should be using ACR 3.7 and DNG Converter 4.4.1.

>Now I have lots of downloaded Raw files than are resisting conversion

It is entirely possible that those raw files were generated by camera models that are not supported in the antiquated, obsolete version of the DNG Converter you are attempting to use.

Download DNG CONVERTER 4.4.1 ASAP.
            • 3. Re: DNG Converter stopped working
              Level 1
              Thanks to both of you who replied. I down loaded the new version of DNG Converter and it is converting my raw files as I type.
              Thanks a million! You have made my day.
              Bill McGee
              • 4. Re: DNG Converter stopped working
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                You're most welcome, Bill. :)