8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 7:35 AM by (Kerwin_Bartinson)

Can't install on WinXP

It's impossible to install DNG codec on WinXP with WIC. It's little strange, because I was able to install codec for .PEF files on the same computer.
        • 1. Re: Can't install on WinXP
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
          The codec is Vista only for the moment.
          • 2. Re: Can't install on WinXP
            Level 1
            The installer might be, but the codec itself works in XP. One can use msi unpacking tools (such as UniExtract or Less MSIerables) to extract the DNGCodec.dll from the installer and register the dll with regsvr32.exe.

A larger problem is that the picture viewer built into XP doesn't use WIC. However, Windows Live Photo Gallery does, and is free. It doesn't even require a Windows Live ID to download and use.

Just for giggles, I tested everything out in a WinXP SP3 VM. After extracting the codec from the MSI and registering it, Windows Live Photo Gallery displayed my .dng files in all their 10 MP glory.
            • 3. Re: Can't install on WinXP
              Level 1
              Does it make any difference if you install the Windows XP WIC components?<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><Anthony_Frazier@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b53c96.1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> The installer might be, but the codec itself works in XP. One can use msi <br />> unpacking tools (such as UniExtract or Less MSIerables) to extract the <br />> DNGCodec.dll from the installer and register the dll with regsvr32.exe.<br />><br />> A larger problem is that the picture viewer built into XP doesn't use WIC. <br />> However, Windows Live Photo Gallery does, and is free. It doesn't even <br />> require a Windows Live ID to download and use.<br />><br />> Just for giggles, I tested everything out in a WinXP SP3 VM. After <br />> extracting the codec from the MSI and registering it, Windows Live Photo <br />> Gallery displayed my .dng files in all their 10 MP glory.
              • 4. Re: Can't install on WinXP
                Level 1
                A difference with what? This is a WIC codec, so you have to have WIC installed somehow in order for it to do anything. SP3 has WIC baked in, so it's not a separate install like it is for SP2. No matter what though, you still need a program that uses WIC (like WLPG). XP's picture viewer wasn't upgraded to use WIC at all.

If you're talking about the installation itself, then no. The MSI sees that you're not running Vista and aborts.
                • 5. Re: Can't install on WinXP
                  Why they deliberately refuse to install on XP is a mystery. I also could register and run the codec (with my own WIC-based viewer) on XP without any problem.
                  • 6. Re: Can't install on WinXP
                    Level 1
                    Keep in mind it is beta. With any luck this stuff will be cleared up before
                    they release it. I do believe the XP support is pretty new so Adobe probably
                    didn't test/design for it.

Robert
                    • 7. Re: Can't install on WinXP
                      Level 1
                      Probably a testing issue, you are right, but WIC was released for XP in final form in November 2006 along with Windows Vista, .NET 3.0 and WPF, if I recall correctly. It's certainly not new.

--Axel
                      • 8. Re: Can't install on WinXP
                        Level 1
                        Maybe not for you, but for a major developer he is working on something that
                        came with the release of Vista it is very new. Think of Adobe like a large
                        government. Something happens in July 2007 they realize it something has
                        happened and acts on it three years later. We are over a year and we a just
                        new getting the first RC of the codec for Vista. I wouldn't expect a whole
                        lot very soon dealing with such issues.

Robert