2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2008 4:47 PM by Panoholic

create a DNG file that does not show changes when viewed by others

I am adjusting my RAW Images in Adobe Lightroom and want to export them as DNG without betraying the evidence of my post production efforts- is there a way to save an altered file as a DNG without showing the client which changes I have made when they open and review the files in CS3 (bridge/camera raw)?
        • 1. Re: create a DNG file that does not show changes when viewed by others
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          I have never done this, but it is my understanding that if you set the DNG file to read only, then all of your changes will be saved to an XMP sidecar file rather than in the DNG file itself. Or, you could just create a DNG copy before you start making any changes.
          • 2. Re: create a DNG file that does not show changes when viewed by others
            Panoholic Level 2
            > is there a way to save an altered file as a DNG without showing the client which changes I have made when they open and review the files in CS3 (bridge/camera raw)?

The raw data itself is not affected by the adjustments, only the metadata. This means, that the adjustments you made are recorded in the DNG file in XMP format, which is quite clear-text, like

> +1.0
               False
               Custom

0, 0
                 22, 30
                 51, 68
                 128, 128
                 206, 149
                 255, 255

As this can be seen by anyone, who knows where and what for to look, you need to have ACR record the adjustments in XMP sidecar files (which is a better way anyway, you can archive the original file and the adjustments separate).