6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2008 4:11 AM by MadManChan2000

Need insight from DNG gurus about implementing DNG as input format for HDR software

Level 1
      I've been having a discussion about the DNG file format and the developers of a new HDR software called Essential HDR (EHDR) but we are having some difficulties because none of us really understands much about the DNG spec and concept.

The first version of EHDR supports DNG as input. I normally shoot my photos in RAW and then convert them to DNG, then I use the different exposure photo set as input.

The thing is, EHDR or even Photomatix (I also tested this on that software) doesn't read any DNG metadata, they simply ignore it. Do you think this is a normal and correct behavior?

One of the points in the discussion that I was defending was that EHDR should read the values from the DNG metadata and not the original RAW data. I was even saying that if I cropped the image, they should read ALL that metadata and use it instead of the original RAW data. What do you guys think of that?

I don't know how RAW works on most cameras but on mine, when I shoot something RAW and then convert it to DNG, I need to do slight changes to the DNG to make the colors look more real, to make it look more like the JPG file (that I shoot along with the RAW). What I'm saying is that I shoot in RAW+JPG and then convert the RAW to DNG so I have DNG+JPG. The JPG file has a white and color balance that closely resembles the real life scene I shot, however, the DNG having more data, always looks different, more saturated and with different temperature and I have to fix it to make it look more like the JPG file. When I'm done why my changes, I save the metadata to the file.

If software like EHDR or Photomatix ignore the metadata, I will be creating an HDR that doesn't look like the photo I shot and I might have problems trying to make a real looking HDR if I'm not seeing correct color balance in the first place because the metadata, which fixes the temperature and etc, is being ignored.

How do you think a DNG photo set should work as input for creating an HDR photo?