5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 9:28 PM by Dawgswrestler

Help posting folder to server

Dawgswrestler
      I need to upload a folder of images I've resized to the site server. my ftp settings are right and i put up a test image so i know its working, but I have a folder of 163 images that I need to be able to upload so the web guy can work on them and I'm not sure how to go about importing it into my files pane on the right side, so that I can then send it on its merry way.

I've checked the DW help manual, and google searched it, but nothing. Tried dragging and dropping, nerp. not happening. On all my other adobe programs its pretty easy to import whatever I need to import, but not in DW...grr.

at any rate, how do i import the entire folder into the files pane so that I can then turn around and upload it?

thanks!
        • 1. Re: Help posting folder to server
          Level 7

> at any rate, how do i import the entire folder into the files pane so that I
          > can then turn around and upload it?

go into your computer's hard drive file listings.
          find the folder of images.
          right-click and copy the image folder.

then go to this site's "Local Site Folder"
          paste the images folder inside the site folder.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Help posting folder to server
            Dawgswrestler Level 1
            ok cool. im trying to figure out how to define the local site folder. its a website i didn't create in DW, but accessed through the manage sites dialog which didn't give me a place to define a local site folder. i checked the help viewer and it said to go to sites > manage sites then hit edit, but then it doesn't give me a place to define where the local site folder is...grr...

should i get rid of the info I've set up to manage the one site, and just create a new site and put in the info for the already created site and then define the local folder there and upload it to the existing site?
            • 3. Re: Help posting folder to server
              Level 7
              Create a folder first on your hard drive: www_abc
              In DW Go to Site > New Site
              Under local info give the site a name
              Under local root folder navigate to the folder you just created and select
              it
              Under HTTP address input the site URL
              Go to Remote Info
              Input the necessary login/connection information to log into the remote site
              Save and close the site management dialog
              Go to the expanded local/remote view panel
              One side you see the local files (currently only a folder, no files)
              Other site you see the remote files, click 'connect' (for FTP) or refresh
              for LAN
              When you are connected, select a folder, a few folders or all files/folder
              in the remote site and "get" them to your local files.
              If it's a large site, 'get' a folder at a time.
              When you have it all, both local and remote files structure should look the
              same and you have a copy of the existing site to work with locally.

I hope that helps.

Marianne

"Dawgswrestler" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gg76qg$nrl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > ok cool. im trying to figure out how to define the local site folder. its
              > a
              > website i didn't create in DW, but accessed through the manage sites
              > dialog
              > which didn't give me a place to define a local site folder. i checked the
              > help
              > viewer and it said to go to sites > manage sites then hit edit, but then
              > it
              > doesn't give me a place to define where the local site folder is...grr...
              >
              > should i get rid of the info I've set up to manage the one site, and just
              > create a new site and put in the info for the already created site and
              > then
              > define the local folder there and upload it to the existing site?
              >

• 4. Re: Help posting folder to server
                Level 7
                dialog
                > which didn't give me a place to define a local site folder.

Which version of dreamweaver?

If CS3, make sure you pick "Site" when you click the New Site Button in the
                Manage Sites dialog box.

Do not pick "RDS" type of site definition.

If an older version of dw, pick FTP access, and not "RDS & FTP" access.

Alan
                Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: Help posting folder to server
                  Dawgswrestler Level 1
                  Marianne and Alan,

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it works out. I was wondering if maybe I'd have to end up doing the new site route. Nice to have people that have the answers the help guide left out : )