3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2008 11:41 AM by troika22

site map issues

troika22 Level 1
      Hello
      I created a couple versions of a site and then downloaded the site to my local drive. Currently unable to preview the site (from the server and on my local hard drive) in a browser. I get an error message that states that in this case Firefox is unable to find the files, When I go into the Manage Site dialog box, I have selected the folder that has the site on my hard drive. Files have been moved and I would like to update. I'm not sure what to do.
      Would appreciate any and all assistance.
      troika22
        • 1. Re: site map issues
          Maneet Puri Level 2

Hi,

Not sure, what could be the reason for this, but you can test one thing – create a new site and try to open it, if it works fine then this means that there is some problem with the pages and scripts written for your website and if not then this means that the web server on your local machine is not working fine. But as you have said that you get the same error message on both live server as well as the local hard disk then it sounds to me like there is some bug in the website scripts or there is some time bomb in the website which has not busted and has stopped the website. No one will be able to tell you about the exact reason until he/she has reviewed the scripts.

All the best for troubleshooting!

Cheers,

Maneet Puri
          Lexolution IT Services

• 2. Re: site map issues
            Level 7
            > I created a couple versions of a site and then downloaded the site to my
            > local
            > drive.

How did you 'create' them on the server? How did the files get to the
            server? When you 'downloaded' them, how did you do that?

Do you have a site defined in DW? What is the path to the local root
            folder? When you use Explorer/Finder to look in that folder, do you see
            your site files?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"troika22" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gglhl9$55d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello
            > I created a couple versions of a site and then downloaded the site to my
            > local
            > drive. Currently unable to preview the site (from the server and on my
            > local
            > hard drive) in a browser. I get an error message that states that in this
            > case
            > Firefox is unable to find the files, When I go into the Manage Site dialog
            > box,
            > I have selected the folder that has the site on my hard drive. Files have
            > been
            > moved and I would like to update. I'm not sure what to do.
            > Would appreciate any and all assistance.
            > troika22
            >

• 3. Re: site map issues
              troika22 Level 1
              Hello Murray

The site that is giving me problems is thankyouverymuchinc.com.

I created the site locally and then FTPed it up. The site was working fine until the following changes took place:

- I reorganized my folders locally thereby creating a new root folder. When i tried to add 3 pages, I received several error messages. One of them was that DW was unable to locate the home page. Another was that it was unable to create the site map and if I'm not mistaken DW was unable to create cache files.

- My client had a friend add some Google analytics to the site. This person also created an XML site map. Obviously, the local and web sites were not synchronized so I was receiving more error messages.

- I then downloaded the site to a new directory in the new root folder I created above. My thinking was this site could become my master copy. I created the new pages and was able to post them to the site.

I am working on a Mac and I'm not sure what you mean by Explorer/Finder. Currently, I see my files locally on my hard drive and in the File window of Dreamweaver. When in DW and I try try to preview in a browser, I am unable to view any of the files in any browser because DW is unable to locate the files locally. In the Site management dialogue box, I am pointing to the files on my local hard drive. When I go into the finder, I can drag the files into a browser and they will display, but not through DW.

I'm obviously having site management issues and was wondering what I can do. The site online is my master. How can I create a new project by downloading an existing site that is posted online?

Thanks
              Marlene