22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2011 7:46 PM by Sergio_Sheffield

encore unknown  error -12004

Level 1
      I have a DVD project that build up to a point and then I get a encore unknown error -12004. I am writing to an DVD Image File. I have plenty of hard drive space and plenty of memory. Any ideas on what this error is?

thanks,
      mitch
        • 1. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
          Level 1
          An update... I set the maximum bit rate down to 8MB down from 9.6 and I changed the audio encoding from PCM to Dolby Digital and now it works. Why would this change matter. Also, when I import the video from DV Tape to the computer I imported them as AVI Type 1. Is this okay or should I have picked Type 2?

thanks for your assistance.

--mitch
          • 2. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
            Ruud Blauw Level 1
            >I set the maximum bit rate down to 8MB down from 9.6 and I changed the audio encoding from PCM to Dolby Digital and now it works.

The DVD-Video specification maximum of 9.8Mb/s is for video and audio combined. With 9.6Mb/s for the video and a little over 1.5Mb/s for PCM audio you were well outside the limit.
            • 3. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
              neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >Also, when I import the video from DV Tape to the computer I imported them as AVI Type 1. Is this okay or should I have picked Type 2?

Type 2.
              • 4. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                Level 1
                I read a tip somewhere else that fixed this error for me:

I had a timeline with multiple clips in it which was set to loop itself. After removing this timeline everything worked.

I didn't really need it anyway, but if I did I'd have created a new clip outside encore and imported it.
                • 5. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                  Level 1
                  In the history of things that suck, this program will reign as king. I have been through all the forums I can find both here and at Creative Cow with no solution to this problem. I have made changes in the regedit, removed loop from audio, removed link back to here from timelines and assets, reduced speed all with no luck. It makes a single chapter with menu just fine (what a breakthrough in the year 2008!!!!!) It will make a multi-chaptered short dvd no problem. I made a 3 chapter with menu DVD, the chapters were 8 seconds long. It worked fine. I replaced the 8-second chapters on the timeline, with longer chapters and it failed to get past writing. I am ready to call this product a dog. This product should be the trophy people get for sucking at something.
                  • 6. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                    Level 1
                    holysh*t, i came across with exactly the same problem.

desperately searching on creative cow, google , and here, but found nothing in the end.

I found the solution later , the trick is to not use any mp3 files in my timeline, after i converted all the mp3 files into wav, and replace all the assets, the building process works like a charm.

why adobe allowed us to import mp3 into the project, while at the same time provide poor support, they'd better not allowing mp3 import at the beginning
                    • 7. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                      Level 1
                      I too had this same problem. It was resolved, like for Mitch W., by setting the transcode settings to Dolby Digital for audio.

File\Project Settings\Advanced\Audio Transcoding Scheme - Dolby Digital

Audio had been set for PCM with all files at 48,000/16bit before which is a standard for DVD. Don't know why this is the case - an obvious g-glitch on Adobe's part, but the work around worked for me.
                      Burned DVD Image. Don't know about Blu-ray.
                      • 8. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                        Level 1
                        Just want to backup what Wink Pain said, I had a big project that was fully DVD compliant and my heart sank when I got this error prior to burning. A quick change to 'Dolby Digital' worked! No idea why as similarly I'd had dozens of project burned with PCM!
                        • 9. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Interesting, and good to know Doug. I have always *believed* that
                          i either
                          of those two formats, PCM/WAV or AC3 would work fine. I always use AC3, so have not pushed that envelope. Curious why WAV would cause Encore to error out. Was it any particular WAV, or just WAV in general?

I'd love to hear Neil Wilkes' take on this problem.

Thanks for reporting, as you may have helped another user down the road.

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            Does the change to dolby result in lower total data rate, if the video rate is not changed? I'm wondering if part of the common denominator for the workarounds is datarate. Ruud's comment at post 2 was in a project that worked when the OP reduced video rate and changed from PCM to DD.
                            • 11. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Stanley,

From my end, I cannot help, as all of my Assets are Exported from PP as elemental streams, nothing is mux'ed, and I let Encore handle all of the Transcoding. You might be onto something, as I've never had a glitch, or error with my workflow.

IIRC, both Neil and Ruud have linked to a data-rate test utility, that will map the combined data-rate for a mux'ed file. Would be interesting to run both versions through that - bet you're right and there is/are out of spec. spike(s) at points in the PCM version.

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                Level 1
                                I'm not sure I fully understand the previous post, but it doesn't look like anyone has come up with a solution besides changing it to DD which works fine for me, but is limited because of having to pay for the DD license. I'd like to see Adobe fix this problem, considering it has been months, and no update has fixed the problem...

Is there a solution to the PCM error?
                                • 13. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Jahman,

If I understand you correctly, you wish to Export from your NLE as DD. You only need the SurCode Encoder plug-in, if doing DD 5.1 SS. For stereo DD, you should be able to choose this option in your Export>Movie, or Export>AME setting. You should have the option there for PCM/WAV 16/48, or DD AC3. It is only with 5.1 SS, that you have to buy the SurCode license.

Maybe I missed something,

Hunt
                                  • 14. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                    neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                    >Does the change to dolby result in lower total data rate, if the video rate is not changed? I'm wondering if part of the common denominator for the workarounds is datarate.

Almost certainly correct in your second part of the quote above.
                                    As has been pointed out many, many times - including in this thread - the total combined bitrate for all streams on a timeline, including Video, Audio, Subtitles etc is 9.8MB/sec.
                                    Some will state the absolute spec maximum of 10.08, but believe me you need that last 0.2 as overhead.

Here are some details.
                                    LPCM audio is 1.6MB/sec (1536kbps).
                                    Dolby Digital is 0.192Mb/sec (192kbps).
                                    So switching from LPCM to Dolby Digital immediately pulls 1344 kbps off your total bitrate.
                                    However, it does not stop there. If you encode your video as CBR, then you can be fairly sure your bitrate will not (usually) exceed the number you enter in. So, a CBR encode of 8000kbps will usually result in a file with a constant bitrate of 8000kbps. Note the word "usually", as I have seen several occasions where an MPEG-2 encoder does not get this
                                    i exactly
                                    correct, and the result can exceed the stated amount by as much as 500kbps in a worst case scenario. So a bitrate viewer is a good idea.
                                    You'll find one at http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-viewer/

When we encode video as VBR, everything changes & things are never what they might seem. We have to set 3 values for this - minimum rate, target rate & maximum rate. This is because VBR is variable, and uses less bits when it can get away with it (in scenes with little motion or low contrast) to save them up for when it needs more in faster action sequences, or high contrast sequences. As such, the target rate is a sort of "Best Guess" and will rarely - if ever - be the exact number you end up with.

The best bet for using Encore to transcode assets is to always use the "Automatic" setting
                                    i Until and unless you really know what you are doing.
                                    MPEG-2 encoding is a skill as well as an art form. The major studios employ people just as encodists - that is all they do, all day, every day, and it is bloody difficult to do manually & get things right. Sorry to use the vernacular there but it is.

How many of those with this problem have used - or tried to use - edited transcode settings?
                                    • 15. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                      Level 1
                                      I'm actually trying to export as PCM 6.0 (lowest setting). I used DD AC3 and it burns fine, however if I change it to PCM, it still gives me this error.
                                      • 16. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                        Level 1
                                        I used Sorenson Squeeze to render the movies to mpeg2 format, then import them to Encore CS3. Building an DVD from each movie individually is fine. But once I start to combine them, the 12004 error suddenly appears. I check the movies with the the bitrate viewer, all the movies are well under the maximum allowed. the audio is mpeg2 audio, not PCM.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
                                        • 17. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                          Ruud Blauw Level 1
                                          >Any idea?

I would suggest to try exporting PCM audio instead of MPEG-1 Layer II and then let Encore transcode it to Dolby Digital (AC3).
                                          • 18. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                            Level 1
                                            Thanks for answering Ruud.

I re-rerender the movies in Sorenson Squeeze to use PCM as audio. Same error happens.

BTW, I don't have licence to use AC3 yet.
                                            • 20. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                              Ruud Blauw Level 1
                                              >BTW, I don't have license to use AC3 yet

AC3 stereo transcoding is included in Encore. You don't need to buy it separately.
                                              • 21. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                                Sergio_Sheffield Level 1

I got a way to solve it!

I also used to get that -12004 error every time I tried to build the disc image in a certain Adobe Encore CS3 project.

My Encore project had 2 AVI files in just 1 timeline.
                                                So, "AVI 1" was "Chapter 1" and "AVI 2" was "Chapter 2" in the timeline, however, Adobe Encore CS3 has crashed (Unknown error -12004)

The solution:
                                                I created 2 Timelines:
                                                "Timeline 1" with "AVI 1"
                                                "Timeline 2" with "AVI 2"

"Timeline 1" -> "end action" = Timeline 2

Why did I need to separate in 2 timelines?
                                                I really don't know ... I use to make projects with several files in a single timeline without problems, but this time it didn't work.

Hope this can help you,
                                                Good luck!

• 22. Re: encore unknown  error -12004
                                                  Sergio_Sheffield Level 1

Solved!

I got that "unknown  error -12004" once again, and I found another way to solve it:

1) On "Project" tab, right click each WAV audio file;
                                                  2) Choose "Transcode Settings";

3) Select one of the options.

4) Build the image.

Before build the image, Encore will transcode the files.