1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 176 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 2:08 PM by Larry MacLennan Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
        Amit Kumar Gupta Adobe Employee

Please post crash data. It would be helpful to identify the cause of crash. You can get it from "Crash data" link at bottom left of Adobe Crash Reported dialog that appears after a crash

• 81. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That, plus the Event Viewer info and links would go a long way to diagnosing one's problems. Unfortunately, more space is spent on diatribes, and never on useful data.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 82. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
            evey80 Level 1

Folks, i tried some of the suggestions here that hadn't beeen proven right or wrong by other users, but every attempt failed.  I couldn't see anything in the monitor panel.  Then i had a very similar problem with photoshop CS4.  I couldn't see the pictures, though they were open.  The suggestion was to go  to photoshop edit-preferences-performance, then uncheck "Enable OpenGl Drawing."  I restarted photoshop and it work.  Thought i'd try the same with encore, but when i opened it, i didn't have to do anything to it.  I could see everything without a problem.  Hope this works. Let us know though.

vista x64-GeForce9800gtx

• 83. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the implementation of OpenGL by some video drivers, and also how many Adobe programs access it, can cause issues. Sometimes, these disappear with the updating of the video driver, but sometimes one has to live with having it turned off. Similar can happen with Hardware Acceleration.

Thanks for reporting, as it will likely help someone else later on,

Hunt

• 84. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                prichina Level 1

yeap ,it crushes on loading ,it is not hardware issue ....

• 85. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                  prichina Level 1

q9550 ,ati 4850 sapphire vapor x 1gb ,4 gb (2x2) Micron,PSU Spire 550 W (real 450w)

• 86. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                    Kotinsky Level 1

terrible i have 3 different new machines.

• 87. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                      stoneth Level 1

I had the same problem with Encore CS4 crashing right after "initializing transcoding" on the splash screen; but for me it worked fine after manually updating to "Adobe Encore CS4 4.0.1 update" (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4078).

• 88. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                        Appia92 Level 1

Hi everybody,

II solved my problem getting rid of the .XMP and .XMPS files that come generating the video files.

Hope this helps

Appia

• 89. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          II solved my problem getting rid of the .XMP and .XMPS files that come generating the video files.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting the good news!

Hunt

• 90. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                            dave appleby

Hi all,

new to the forum but just thought I'd share a happy ending thanks to the pointers I gleaned, particaulalry from this thread. I was also experiencing start-up crashes with Encore CS4. Similar to another fourm member, I have an alienware laptop (which will soon be updated in any case), that has 2 x NVIDIA Ge7900GS SLI cards. All I did was to download the latest drivers for notebooks from the NVIDIA website & Bobs your dogs uncle. No problems now at all. For anyone else with a similar setup, here is the link to the driver page I used:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_notebook_winxp_179.48_beta_uk.html

Hope this helps & keep up the good work!!

• 91. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Glad that you had some good news to report. There is often not enough of that.

Thanks for sharing your advice. It will help others,

Hunt

• 92. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                Troy R. Level 1

This worked for me. Encore worked fine than I went to open it and it would just close out. Ths was posted at the begining of this thread thanks to whoever suggested it. Delete the folder in  Adobe Encore called 4.0 @ C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Encore

• 93. Encore CS4 constantly crashes > My Solution
                                  schweer Level 1

Hi there and cheers from Germany,

I was suffering from the same problem, encore cs4 didn´t start correctly or freezes the system.

After trying different things, this worked out for me:

My OS is Windows7 64bit now,but it seems to work for Vista as well.

Every time i started Encore, there was a little warning-baloon popping up, caused by the

Intel Matrix Storage Manager. i´ve ignored it all the time,but after updating the manager and its

driver to the 8.8. Version everything was fine. first i tried the 8.9. Version,which wasn´t working.

so,check it out,may it help you!

• 94. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes > My Solution
                                    garek007 Level 1

This is ridiculous. I expect my software to work. And it doesn't. I've wasted several hours trying all these things and none of it works. If Adobe can't get their act together I'll take my business somewhere else. Unfortunately they already have my money, but no more. I'll buy a different authoring tool and adobe will not get this out of me any more.

Can someone please suggest a better authoring tool NOT made by Adobe?

thanks,

Stan

• 95. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                      Kotinsky Level 1

I had to use dvdit pro. Even after I bought encore premiere suite.  I 

just couldn't take the ****.  Downloaded DVD it , installed , and was 

in business. Immediately. Worth the $300

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Kotinsky

www.visionmaster.com

On Nov 5, 2009, at 12:31 PM, screenameunavailable <forums@adobe.com

• 96. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                        Kotinsky Level 1

Jumpin through hoops to get software to work, crazy

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Kotinsky

www.visionmaster.com

On Nov 5, 2009, at 12:31 PM, screenameunavailable <forums@adobe.com

• 97. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes > Giving it up and away
                                          mpab02 Level 1

I'm with you. After having wasted 10 days and nights (fruitlessly transcoding), uninstalling and reinstalling codecs, changing target disks (so that now I have temp files all over them), etc. I've decided to give up Adobe.

Here's what happens to me.

I had a Roxio 10 demo and installed it. Produced and burned the same DVD in less than 3 hours (which Adobe kept wasting 5 hours transcoding only to halt at 90% or so). Granted, it'll never be the same as Adobe. The video editor is a joke when it comes to scanning the frames (Adobe gives a good frame-by-frame with audio so that I can snip words/phrases that got cut). The transcode quality is inferior. And the menu customization is only fair.

BUT IT WORKS! And I can have my family project ready and send it overseas to the grandparents.

I'll wait for the next Adobe update and see if it works. If not, I'll find a buyer for it. Perhaps it works for someone else.

I'd like to know if there's a better DVD authoring program, as Roxio seems still a little amateurish to me.

• 98. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes > Giving it up and away
                                            gr jas Level 1

Don't know if this helps anyone else, but the runtime errors I have been getting occur when I try to build and burn a blu-ray file. And they happen intermittently. In fact, on this project, I had burned several test blu-rays without difficulty. When I made one minor change on the penultimate version, and tried to burn again, the system crashed with a run time error. Then it crashed 9 more times over the course of a week.

Finally in frustration, I created an interim ISO file in Encore- ie in the build workstream, I selected burn an image file rather than burning a blu-ray disk. After this intermediate step completed, I then did a separate burn in encore but burned from the image file. No snags.

Not sure why but this program has trouble doing a sequence of activities. As it is, I already render and save the file before burning. Now I have another interim step to create an image file before burning.

In my next hardware change, I am going to switch to make Mac and Apple software. Enough of MS Windows and Adobe, the GM and Chrysler of the software industry. Hopefully what my friends tell me is true; that Apple stuff actually works.

• 99. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                              Jeff Bellune Level 6

>>Hopefully what my friends tell me is true; that Apple stuff actually

works.

Please don't fall for the marketing hype and the zealotry.  Make sure

you read the Apple forums before you jump ship, both for the OS and for

Final Cut Studio.  You may find that the Apple isn't always greener on

the other side.      Switching platforms is an awfully expensive step

to take if you're not 100% sure that your productivity will increase.

-Jeff

• 100. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                Ron Priest Level 1

Yeah, but at least on Mondays, Wednesday's  and  Fridays Apple is out watering the grass!  However, it seems lately that they are picking up the habits of Adobe and only watering it once a week.

• 101. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                  Jeff Bellune Level 6

Good one, Ron!

-Jeff

• 102. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                    Stanton Jones Level 1

Exactly.. my problem is crashing upon creation of a new timeline..

• 103. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                      gr jas Level 1

Please don't fall for the marketing hype and the zealotry.

Jeff- whose marketing hype are you referring to- Apple's, Microsoft's or Adobe's. If what you say is true- product quality is no better at Apple than it is at MS or Adobe, this is no joking matter. It is depressing. So you can have the cute winks or as Ron has scribed the little jokes, but the question is are we going to put up with this crap from all these vendors- you know the hype and horsesh...t of how wonderful their product features are when thousands of users are wasting their time trying to figure out work arounds for inadequately tested products. Or are we going to stop being sheep and start getting PO'ed about poor product quality from software vendors.

In the 70's the American auto manufacturers made cars of such disgusting quality, their average useful life was 5 years. As a result of consumer revolt, independent quality companies, and competitors from Asia and Germany, they slowly cleaned up their act ... although not quickly enough to avoid the mess they are in today.

The question is as consumers of the poor quality, highly marketed software that permeates the industry, are we going to have the guts as consumers to put up with the crap like Adobe, MS, and according to your comments, Apple, is churning out, or are we going to revolt like we did with auto manufacturers till they clean up their act.

May be you guys have time to laugh and joke about the workarounds we have to do as result of software manufacturer arrogance. But most of us don't\.

For god sake Adobe, clean up your act, and test your product properly.

• 104. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        Exactly.. my problem is crashing upon creation of a new timeline..

Drew,

Please tell us about your Project, and your Assets. Then, please tell us exactly what you are doing when the program crashes. Last, please give the specs. of your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 105. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Drew,

This ARTICLE, written basically for an NLE session, but applicable to an authoring session, will give you tips on setting up and getting your computer for authoring.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 106. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding clues as to what is happening, when the program crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 107. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it is targeted at PrPro, this PrPro-Wiki FAQ Entry has a lot of good, general tips on troubleshooting, including some of the details that can be very useful to people trying to help find your issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 108. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                LukeFrench Level 1

I installed from the Production Premium  and I was getting the same error also. I could run the preview untill I clicked on one specific button. That chapter would run about 34 seconds and ecore would crash with that error.

I found that the butttons folder name was different than the actual button text layer name ie: the folder was named "(+) Photo slideshow" and the button text layer was named "Photo". When I changed the layers name to "Photo slideshow" it resolved the problem.

Hope it helps

• 109. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Luke,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for pointing out your fix for a naming issue. That might well help someone else in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 110. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                    LeBozo Level 1

I was having a major problem with crashes under Windows 7. It turned out to be a problem with the Roxio PX Engine, which is used by Encore. Try this patch and see if it helps.

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN&PARAMS

• 111. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                      pfield69 Level 1

WOW! I can't belive this thread has been going for nearly a year. Nice to see Adobe putting our money to good use and supplying fixes.

My Encore (CS4) crashes quite often. What I find strange is it isn't when I do something mad like import an after affects asset, make complicated navigation or use a fully featured menu. It is when I navigate through my project assets.

I keep assets in folders for clean organisation. When expanding or imploding on of these folders I get a random crash "unexpected shut down).

I do have other issues with Encore which I posted in another thread.

It isn't very productive to have crashes espeacially with a program that doesn't have auto backup feature/ auto save. I think I'm going to wear out my ctrl s key.

I haven't read anything that my help me but if any of you have any ideas they will most appreciated (I think mac pro & final cut sounds like the best solution so far)

• 112. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                        Ron Priest Level 1

pfield69 wrote:

WOW! I can't belive this thread has been going for nearly a year. Nice to see Adobe putting our money to good use and supplying fixes.

I haven't read anything that my help me but if any of you have any ideas they will most appreciated (I think mac pro & final cut sounds like the best solution so far)

Yeah it's pretty sad huh?  I take it your on a PC?

Im on a Mac with FCP, made the move from the PC 2 years ago and haven't looked back.  I just recently got Encore on the Mac and am having good luck with it now.  I was having a lot of issues with it crashing on me but discovered it was the Black Magic Intensity pro card that I was trying to use inside Encore, and this card doesn't support Encore.  So once I realized my mistake with that issue, I haven't had any problems with Encore.

• 113. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                          pfield69 Level 1

Thanks,

I'm using an ATI 3450 mobility card (512mb).

It does appear to be an error that is caused by specific code being executed.

Where can I find a compatability list of GPUs?

• 114. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                            Ron Priest Level 1

HI

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your asking, are you directing your question to me?  You're looking for a compatibility list of GPU's for the Mac or Encore?

• 115. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                              pfield69 Level 1

Sorry, badly worded reply.

It was aimed more at the solution that you (Ron) found i.e. changing the graphics card.

Yes, I am looking for a GPU compatability list for Encore/Premiere CS4 on pc

I would guess that the GPU isn't overly worked.

• 116. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                Its been implied that the cause of some crashes is due to an NVidia Card and its driver. Is that to say if I switch to a different video card that it will solve the problem?

There have been problems reported with Adobe programs, and recent nVidia drivers. These issues seem to mostly trace back to two gamer-only modules: PhysX and 3D Stereovision. The disabling of these two modules have been almost 100% effective.

If you have either/both, disable them and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 117. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                                  bobby_tee1121
                                                                                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

These issues seem to mostly trace back to two gamer-only modules: PhysX and 3D Stereovision. The disabling of these two modules have been almost 100% effective.

If you have either/both, disable them and test.

I have no idea if I have either of these. Can you tell me how I can find out and if I find them, how to disable them?

Thanks!

bobby

PS- I am just getting caught up on this thread. I am using Encore CS4 on an XP machine, SP3, Intel Core2 Duo, 2.99GHz, 3.25GB RAM. My Encore crashes whenever I try to burn a disc (mid-way through, so no discs burned), when I try to check the project, and immediately after I export a Flash SWF of the project (so at least I can get a test SWF).

• 118. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bobby,

You should see them in the nVidia console, or by going to Start>Run and typing MSCONFIG, and looking in Startup.

Now, reports are coming in that the latest nVidia driver has both of these modules rewritten, and now they work with Adobe programs. I cannot attest to this, as my nVidia cards are other models, and I do not have either module. I cannot even test, and can only rely on the reports of others.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 119. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                                                                      bobby_tee1121 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. I will explore the drivers update. My IS guys are going to look at changing my video card to an ATI card. Not sure if that will help, but gotta try something. I tried the deleting of the dll file mentioned earlier, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

It's really hard to believe that a piece of major software could have such an apparently widespread issue with no clear fix from the company.

I'll post my results...

bobby