2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2008 8:33 PM by pixlor

DWT file is not updating with drop-down menu revisions from Fireworks

Brian Veit
      Aughh! I am almost done with my website, when I go back to Fireworks and add a couple new tabs on a drop-down menu. I update the DWT file in Dreamweaver, but one of two things happens: either the update simply doesn't "take", or all of the <body> section is mysteriously deleted from the DWT file. If I preview the Fireworks template in my browser (from Fireworks), everything is as it should be, but not when I preview in Dreamweaver. Not sure if this is a Fireworks issue or a Dreamweaver issue but I thought I'd start here and perhaps post in the Dreamweaver forum next.

What the hell?

Thanks in advance for the help,
      Brian
        • 1. Re: DWT file is not updating with drop-down menu revisions from Fireworks
          Brian Veit Level 1
          BTT

Come on... someone has to have an answer for this... otherwise I'm gonna' have to eliminate the drop-down and navigate to a menu page.

Please... for all that is holy... HELP!
          • 2. Re: DWT file is not updating with drop-down menu revisions from Fireworks
            pixlor Level 4
            quote:

Originally posted by: _Lost_Boy
            BTT

Come on... someone has to have an answer for this... otherwise I'm gonna' have to eliminate the drop-down and navigate to a menu page.

Please... for all that is holy... HELP!

Fireworks HTML is meant for prototyping, for making mockups to show people. It is not meant for building real sites in. Fireworks is a graphics application, not a Web production environment. The HTML Fireworks produces is not robust (as you have discovered). You are better off using Dreamweaver, especially if you don't know enough HTML and JavaScript to edit what Fireworks produces.

There are also some professional menus you can buy that will be robust, cross-browser, cross-platform , and well-tested. You will save yourself many hours and headaches buying something that works rather than spending those hours fighting Fireworks code.

Read this similar thread

Also, read The sordid tale of mm_menu/fw_menu.js for why you don't want to use Fireworks' drop-down menus.