3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2008 12:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

Can't create form in DW without a Linux account?

Ruby7829 Level 1
      I just added a form to my contact page and called my hosting provider - goDaddy.com - to get the cgi script (this is what lynda.com told me to do). goDaddy said I couldn't use the form feature in DW because I have a Windows account and not a Linux account. They said it was easy to switch over but I'm not sure what the difference is or what other people use. Thanks AGAIN.
        • 1. Can't create form in DW without a Linux account?
          gordonwd Level 1
          I think that Linux is a lot more common unless you're using an MS product like Frontpage (thankfully now obsolete) to do your web pages. Linux generally has better support for various server extensions and plug-ins.
          • 2. Re: Can't create form in DW without a Linux account?
            Level 7
            Hello,

It really depends on the functionality of your site and what you want to do.

For a simple form, you can easily set this up on a GoDaddy Windows server
            using either their aspformmail script, which comes with your hosting, or
            another third party script (which they don't support if you have any
            trouble).
            You could also easily switch your hosting to their Linux plan.

If it's a basic website, with little or no dynamic content, it really
            doesn't matter.

Take care,
            Tim

"Ruby7829" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g9mlte$pr8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I just added a form to my contact page and called my hosting provider -
            > goDaddy.com - to get the cgi script (this is what lynda.com told me to
            > do).
            > goDaddy said I couldn't use the form feature in DW because I have a
            > Windows
            > account and not a Linux account. They said it was easy to switch over but
            > I'm
            > not sure what the difference is or what other people use. Thanks AGAIN.
            >

• 3. Re: Can't create form in DW without a Linux account?
              Level 7
              No need to switch to Linux hosting. Use the .asp formmailer script that
              comes standard with your GDaddy Account. Go to your Admin Panel to find it
              and set it up.

--Nancy O.
              Alt-Web Design & Publishing
              www.alt-web.com

"Ruby7829" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g9mlte$pr8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I just added a form to my contact page and called my hosting provider -
              > goDaddy.com - to get the cgi script (this is what lynda.com told me to
              do).
              > goDaddy said I couldn't use the form feature in DW because I have a
              Windows
              > account and not a Linux account. They said it was easy to switch over but
              I'm
              > not sure what the difference is or what other people use. Thanks AGAIN.
              >