6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2006 9:49 PM by bregent

Updating pages on server

jewelartist
      My website is online - finally. If I had any idea it was this difficult I would have paid someone to do it for me. Too late. I am using a template for the heading part and navigation. I need to add a couple pages - like sitemap and what's new page. When I did this in the past I updated pages using template (every page) and resent each to the server. Is there a quicker way to do this like updating at the server? I actually did that on just one page to see what happened and it seems like it changed all my non-breaking spaces to something else. I seem to waste a lot of time exploring things on my own. Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!!
        • 1. Re: Updating pages on server
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          Server side includes are often a better option than templates for things like headers and navigation.
          • 2. Re: Updating pages on server
            jewelartist Level 1
            Thank you!! I will certainly check this out and see if it is my solution.
            • 3. Re: Updating pages on server
              Level 7
              On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "jewelartist"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> My website is online - finally. If I had any idea it was this
              >difficult I would have paid someone to do it for me. Too late. I am using a
              >template for the heading part and navigation. I need to add a couple pages -
              >like sitemap and what's new page. When I did this in the past I updated pages
              >using template (every page) and resent each to the server. Is there a quicker
              >way to do this like updating at the server? I actually did that on just one
              >page to see what happened and it seems like it changed all my non-breaking
              >spaces to something else. I seem to waste a lot of time exploring things on
              >my own. Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!!

May we see your site?
              • 4. Re: Updating pages on server
                Level 7
                On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "jewelartist"
                <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> My website is online - finally. If I had any idea it was this
                >difficult I would have paid someone to do it for me. Too late. I am using a
                >template for the heading part and navigation. I need to add a couple pages -
                >like sitemap and what's new page. When I did this in the past I updated pages
                >using template (every page) and resent each to the server. Is there a quicker
                >way to do this like updating at the server? I actually did that on just one
                >page to see what happened and it seems like it changed all my non-breaking
                >spaces to something else. I seem to waste a lot of time exploring things on
                >my own. Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!!

May we see your site?
                • 5. Re: Updating pages on server
                  jewelartist Level 1
                  Sure. I'd love any comments or criticism of my site. www.oxalisjewelart.com
                  • 6. Re: Updating pages on server
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >Sure. I'd love any comments or criticism of my site. www.oxalisjewelart.com

Looks nice but there are a few problems. The main thing is that your pages are too heave. For example, http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php is about 750K bytes. Nobody on a slower connection is going to wait around for that page to load. You need to optimize your images - most of your thumbnails are ~50K when they should be 10-15 at most.

Also, I see you use Layout tables. This is going to hurt you in the long run. When you have a change, I suggest rebuiding your pages with tables and avoid using DW Layout mode as it creates some rather nasty code.