7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2008 11:11 AM by pixlor

    Reducing Image Size

    biofircenter
      Hello everyone,

      Please help me how to reduce the file size of image that produced with Fireworks, i've been using Fireworks for some times and the big size of the result file is a big problem for me.

      For example the image logo that i use for my website www.BiofirCenter.com is to heavy to load for fast loading site.

      Thanks for your answer.
        • 1. Re: Reducing Image Size
          Level 7
          You should be 'exporting' the file not 'saving' it. Export the file you
          want to upload as a gif/jpeg/png and save the file you want to keep on your
          local machine for any future editing. 'Saving' by default saves as a
          Fireworks png which keeps any / all layers in tact, which is why they are
          large file sizes.

          Peter
          _________________
          | Hello everyone,
          |
          | Please help me how to reduce the file size of image that produced with
          | Fireworks, i've been using Fireworks for some times and the big size of
          the
          | result file is a big problem for me.
          |
          | For example the image logo that i use for my website
          | http://www.biofircenter.com is to heavy to load for fast loading site.
          |
          | Thanks for your answer.
          |


          • 2. Re: Reducing Image Size
            Level 7
            are you talking about this one?
            http://www.biofircenter.com/images/logo_biofir-center.gif

            because it is only 9kb - which is not too big

            alex


            biofircenter wrote:
            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > Please help me how to reduce the file size of image that produced with
            > Fireworks, i've been using Fireworks for some times and the big size of the
            > result file is a big problem for me.
            >
            > For example the image logo that i use for my website
            > http://www.biofircenter.com is to heavy to load for fast loading site.
            >
            > Thanks for your answer.
            >
            • 3. Re: Reducing Image Size
              pixlor Level 4
              quote:

              Originally posted by: biofircenter
              Please help me how to reduce the file size of image that produced with Fireworks, i've been using Fireworks for some times and the big size of the result file is a big problem for me.

              For example the image logo that i use for my website www.BiofirCenter.com is to heavy to load for fast loading site.

              That logo is very complex. The .gif format compresses by "run length encoding." Instead of noting the color for each pixel, sections of rows of the same color are noted. In your logo, you have small runs of the same color, consequently the savings with the .gif format are less than they would be if (for example) you didn't have the drop shadows, you didn't have the stripes in the letters, and you didn't have the shading and stripes in the shield. Try removing one or more of these design elements to increase the sections of rows with solid color and see if you get an improvement.

              Also, just to make sure.... When you "Save as," Fireworks includes its proprietary information in the file header. You want to export the image so that the Fireworks information is not included.
              • 4. Re: Reducing Image Size
                biofircenter Level 1
                quote:

                Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                You should be 'exporting' the file not 'saving' it. Export the file you
                want to upload as a gif/jpeg/png and save the file you want to keep on your
                local machine for any future editing. 'Saving' by default saves as a
                Fireworks png which keeps any / all layers in tact, which is why they are
                large file sizes.

                Peter
                _________________
                | Hello everyone,
                |
                | Please help me how to reduce the file size of image that produced with
                | Fireworks, i've been using Fireworks for some times and the big size of
                the
                | result file is a big problem for me.
                |
                | For example the image logo that i use for my website
                | http://www.biofircenter.com is to heavy to load for fast loading site.
                |
                | Thanks for your answer.
                |





                Thank u for the reply,

                I've try to export the image when saving it to 'smaller jpg', but it still to large, then i try to reduce the resolution to '70' but the result is my image become al little blur.
                • 5. Re: Reducing Image Size
                  biofircenter Level 1
                  quote:

                  Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  are you talking about this one?
                  http://www.biofircenter.com/images/logo_biofir-center.gif

                  because it is only 9kb - which is not too big

                  alex



                  Yes u r right, thats the image filename. Maybe it's not to big if that is the only image in my site, but combining with all my image at that page, well its big enough for loading time. In my country the majority internet connection speed is only about 56 kbps, that's why i need a fast loading site.
                  • 6. Re: Reducing Image Size
                    biofircenter Level 1
                    quote:

                    Originally posted by: pixlor
                    That logo is very complex. The .gif format compresses by "run length encoding." Instead of noting the color for each pixel, sections of rows of the same color are noted. In your logo, you have small runs of the same color, consequently the savings with the .gif format are less than they would be if (for example) you didn't have the drop shadows, you didn't have the stripes in the letters, and you didn't have the shading and stripes in the shield. Try removing one or more of these design elements to increase the sections of rows with solid color and see if you get an improvement.

                    Also, just to make sure.... When you "Save as," Fireworks includes its proprietary information in the file header. You want to export the image so that the Fireworks information is not included.


                    You're right, my logo is complex and it use shadow, emboss, shading, stripes, etc. But that's the reason why i'm using Fireworks, it makes my image alive, if i don't use those effect than why i buy Fireworks, am i right ?

                    I try your Export trick, and yes u r right it makes the file size smaller, but i already using that trick along time ago.

                    Does any one know some kind of tool or any Fireworks trick to reducing the image file size without reducing its resolution ?

                    • 7. Re: Reducing Image Size
                      pixlor Level 4
                      You have a certain amount of information in your image that is determined by
                      - the dimensions
                      - the number of colors
                      - the level of detail (stripes and shadows)

                      If you reduce any one of these, your file size will be smaller. Other than that, your 9K file size is the best you can expect. If you don't want to compromise on your design, then you will have to accept the file size.

                      I tried making a graphic from a screen capture. Exporting as a .gif gives me a file size of 9.31k. If I reduce the number colors to 128, the file size is 8.15k. If I reduce the number of colors to 64, then the file size is 7.04k. If I overlay the 64-color image on your original logo and set the blending mode to Difference, I can see that there are only minor variations, mostly in the shield. That is one approach you might consider.

                      But this is just your logo. Saving 2k here is only a small portion of your entire page. The other header image is also about 9k. If you use a simple, non-script font that emphasizes horizontal and vertical strokes, you will have less anti-aliasing, which will allow you to take better advantage of the .gif format. Also, are your flashing animations really necessary? You could save bytes there if you had two frames rather than four. I would think that static .jpgs of the same file sizes would be better choices, as they would give you higher quality photographs of the objects.

                      Anyway, there is no magic that can be done. To present information takes bytes. To have fewer bytes you need to present less information.