8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 9:05 AM by BenjaminBarker

Webservice returning null values

FlexOnNet Level 1
      Webservice returning null values when consuming .net webservice and return datatype is string[].

<mx:WebService id="Content" wsdl=" http://www.paxsonmarketing.com/Content.asmx?WSDL">
      <mx:operation name="Countries" resultFormat="{ObjectProxy}" result="getCountries_result(event);" fault="getCountries_fault(event);" >
      <mx:request>
      <AffiliateID>{AffiliateID}</AffiliateID>
      <Password>{AffiliatePassword}</Password>
      <AvailableOnly>true</AvailableOnly>
      </mx:request>
      </mx:operation>
      </mx:WebService>

Above is what my webservice looks like. Basically I tried to use the Flex 3 Built in 'Data' > 'Import Web services functionality' however this also returned a null values for type.. 'arrayOfString'. I have tested the webservice and it def returns an 'arrayOfString'. I tried the above code as well and it does the same.

I tried other methods to the same webservice and they work if I am not returning type of 'arrayOfString'.

Any Ideas?
        • 1. Re: Webservice returning null values
          Dane_of_Dalrymple Level 1
          I am having a similar issue. I will connect to a .NET webservice (basicHTTP binding) and get results, but some of my nested results (i.e. objects, arrays of related objects) are coming back empty/null.

My classes are generated by the Import WSDL functionality found in the Eclipse plugin for Flex.

Are there classes, types etc that Flex can't interpret or populate?

Thanks,
          • 2. Re: Webservice returning null values
            I am getting the same issue with arrayOfString.
            • 3. Re: Webservice returning null values
              biges Level 1
              my class can transfer parameters which datatype is String. and when my flex class can receive parameters Correctly,I transfer String to XMLList and bonding to DataGird.
              • 4. Re: Webservice returning null values
                Where I am seeing issue with within a deep class. My WSDL is for a .NET WCF webservice, with multiple WSDL reference files. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Here is an excert of my WSDL describing the two complex classes that are not being serialized:

Both EntityTypes and PropertyType under Entity are coming back as NULL:
                (these are the two that I am referring to)
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="EntityTypes" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfEntityType" />
                <xs:element name="ArrayOfEntityType" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfEntityType" />

- <xs:complexType name="Entity">
                - <xs:sequence>
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="Comment" nillable="true" type="xs:string" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="DisplayName" nillable="true" type="xs:string" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="Domain" nillable="true" type="xs:string" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="EntityTypes" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfEntityType" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="Identifier" nillable="true" type="xs:string" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="Properties" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfProperty" />
                </xs:sequence>
                </xs:complexType>
                <xs:element name="Entity" nillable="true" type="tns:Entity" />
                - <xs:complexType name="ArrayOfEntityType">
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="EntityType" nillable="true" type="tns:EntityType" />
                <xs:element name="ArrayOfEntityType" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfEntityType" />
                - <xs:complexType name="EntityType">
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="DisplayName" nillable="true" type="xs:string" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="IsDirect" type="xs:boolean" />
                <xs:element name="EntityType" nillable="true" type="tns:EntityType" />
                - <xs:complexType name="ArrayOfProperty">
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="Property" nillable="true" type="tns:Property" />
                <xs:element name="ArrayOfProperty" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfProperty" />
                - <xs:complexType name="Property">
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="PropertyType" nillable="true" type="tns:PropertyType" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="PropertyValues" nillable="true" type="tns:ArrayOfPropertyValue" />
                <xs:element name="Property" nillable="true" type="tns:Property" />
                - <xs:complexType name="PropertyType">
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="IsMultiValued" type="xs:boolean" />
                <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="ValueType" nillable="true" type="xs:string" />
                <xs:element name="PropertyType" nillable="true" type="tns:PropertyType" />
                - <xs:complexType name="ArrayOfPropertyValue">
                ... (had to cut is short to fit into post!)
                • 5. Re: Webservice returning null values
                  pulmego Level 1
                  Very nice post that provides us with great insight !!!
                  • 6. Re: Webservice returning null values
                    Does anyone have a solution to this issue?
                    • 7. Re: Webservice returning null values
                      Karzons Level 1
                      Great post, very interesting to read.
                      • 8. Re: Webservice returning null values
                        BenjaminBarker Level 1
                        I'm having the same issue with complex WSDL and FlexBuilder3 Web Services import wizard.

I think this is related to this issue on the Adobe bug tracking : http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-12201.

I can see the data in the response from the server, but Flex chokes on decoding the SOAP response. Using the suggestion in the link above I tried overriding the soad decoder class , but now I get null value for my event results.

Looks like there is a fix from Adobe, but it will only come out as part of Flex 4? :(